Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Continues Advancing Greatly, Getting Faster

Phoronix: GLAMOR Continues Advancing Greatly, Getting Faster

GLAMOR continues advancing for carrying out 2D X.Org acceleration via OpenGL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have never really cared much about the news regarding 2D performance..
    But, I recently bought a replacement radeon card, found out the radeon driver in Debian Sid was to outdated, and I had to use the closed source version.
    Holy shit.. the 2D performance is atrocious.. Like 1 second lags before stuff is redrawn when changing virtual desktops (in Awesome WM)
    Scrolling in firefox slows to a fucking crawl.. had to turn off smooth scrolling becuase it took forever to get down to the bottom. Scrolling in firefox, i probably get about 1FPS.
    3D performance is good though (as far as I've been able to push it).

I just don't want to bother to compile thing myself, so I'm angrily just waiting for new packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
      I have never really cared much about the news regarding 2D performance..
      But, I recently bought a replacement radeon card, found out the radeon driver in Debian Sid was to outdated, and I had to use the closed source version.
      Holy shit.. the 2D performance is atrocious.. Like 1 second lags before stuff is redrawn when changing virtual desktops (in Awesome WM)
      Scrolling in firefox slows to a fucking crawl.. had to turn off smooth scrolling becuase it took forever to get down to the bottom. Scrolling in firefox, i probably get about 1FPS.
      3D performance is good though (as far as I've been able to push it).

I just don't want to bother to compile thing myself, so I'm angrily just waiting for new packages.
      Those changes wont improve Catalyst situation. (As Catalyst do their own 2D work)

However I dunno why AMD wont use just GLAMOR in Catalyst. Even unoptimized GLAMOR can not be slower than what Catalyst have right?

Comment

Does any one know what the OpenGL requirements are for GLAMOR?

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Those changes wont improve Catalyst situation. (As Catalyst do their own 2D work)

However I dunno why AMD wont use just GLAMOR in Catalyst. Even unoptimized GLAMOR can not be slower than what Catalyst have right?
        I guess if you run Xorg inside Xorg it should be using GLAMOR as acceleration, if not there is a more direct way to force it.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

I'm only using catalyst because the open source drivers in debian were to old.

Comment

I'm only using catalyst because the open source drivers in debian were to old.
            Selectively pull in from Testing? Just an option
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Selectively pull in from Testing? Just an option
              I'm already running debian sid. Still to old.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                Does any one know what the OpenGL requirements are for GLAMOR?
                It is OpenGL 1.3 at a very minimum (on paper it can be implemented for ALL cards currently supportded by mesa also, but will be mostly unaccelerated on cards without shaders - acceleration of gradients, trapezods, xv, etc they are all done via shaders...) So for usable glamor, card needs GLSL support and to be at full OpenGL 2.0+ level .

Comment

I'm already running debian sid. Still to old.
                  Debian do not want to support that "nasty" glamor lib right now , it will support glamor as part of xserver... That will be xserver 1.16 to go :cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    It is OpenGL 1.3 at a very minimum (on paper it can be implemented for ALL cards currently supportded by mesa also, but will be mostly unaccelerated on cards without shaders - acceleration of gradients, trapezods, xv, etc they are all done via shaders...) So for usable glamor, card needs GLSL support and to be at full OpenGL 2.0+ level .

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...n/src/glamor.c
                    Cool, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X