Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE Releases First Beta Of Applications & Platform 4.13

Default KDE Releases First Beta Of Applications & Platform 4.13

Phoronix: KDE Releases First Beta Of Applications & Platform 4.13

KDE developers have done their first beta of the upcoming Applications and Platform 4.13 update...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNDE

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    KDE 4.13 likely won't be too exciting on the feature front since most of the work right now is about KDE Frameworks 5 / Qt5 integration and other tasks...
    Wrong. This is the most exciting KDE 4.x release since 4.10, since this release replaces the Nepomuk/Virtuoso stack with Baloo. The reported performance increases are measured in orders of magnitude. KDE PIM search is instant. I can't wait to test all those things on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    So KDE killed off major features by using the dumbed down baloo. What other features was removed?
    Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Honton View Post
    So KDE killed off major features by using the dumbed down baloo. What other features was removed?
    Baloo and Nepomuk is more of a change in the background. Sort of like Plasma 1 to Plasma 2, they pretty much look the same and allow for a very similar work flow.

Though you already knew this as there isn't a soul out there who spends as much time on Qt-releated news as you do... well, not counting Micheal who reports the news for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    Wrong. This is the most exciting KDE 4.x release since 4.10, since this release replaces the Nepomuk/Virtuoso stack with Baloo. The reported performance increases are measured in orders of magnitude. KDE PIM search is instant. I can't wait to test all those things on my computer.
    Wouldn't the performance increase only occur if you actually use Nepomuk? I personally keep it disabled so I'm sure I'm not going to get much of a performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Wouldn't the performance increase only occur if you actually use Nepomuk? I personally keep it disabled so I'm sure I'm not going to get much of a performance difference.
    You're right, YOU won't really see much of a bump. But other people will, so they still get an awesome release :P

On the contrary. You can now try to enable it, and have a change to get infinite performance increase.

Dude, isn't this so obvious it's not worth stating? It's like complaining that you don't get nvidia's latest driver improvements because you run an intel gpu.

But if you disabled because of speed issues, why not try out the updated backend?

Default Exciting :eek:

Wait, Baloo is already going to be in this release? This is actually very exciting. I very much like the idea of indexed and metadata search but Nepomuk is a bit slow.

Quote Originally Posted by pumrel View Post
    Wait, Baloo is already going to be in this release?
    Yuuuuuup, they used as much code from Nepomuk as they could to make sure it was mature and tested code ontop of the new architecture.