30-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    "Binary Driver" is a well known and accepted term for drivers that are only obtainable in their binary form,
    As presiding head chair of the committee for the ratification of well known and accepted terms, I believe you may wish to check the ledger for validation.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
      As presiding head chair of the committee for the ratification of well known and accepted terms, I believe you may wish to check the ledger for validation.
      Ah, but you see the ISO committee for ratification of well known and accepted terms does not have jurisdiction here, the ECMA Committee of Advancing Terms, particularly the subcommittee on Deliberation on Overused and Generalized Statements demands jurisdiction as they think they have a much cooler name than the ISO committee, they also have pizza fridays and wear fedoras.

Comment

Originally posted by peterd View Post
        Is it safe to say that I must install Ubuntu 14.04 in order for the NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti to work?
        I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.10 and right where the install goes into graphics mode
        my install stops. All I have is a flashing cursor.

In the process right now of downloading Ubuntu 14.04. If that does not work not sure
        what to do next.

Thanks
        Peter
        It should work with 13.10, the thing is you have to boot it with nomodeset and use generic vesa driver for X. I don't know what is the nouveau status for gtx750, but I presume that you have to install newest nvidia binary drivers(version 334.16 or 334.21) for working desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          It should work with 13.10, the thing is you have to boot it with nomodeset and use generic vesa driver for X. I don't know what is the nouveau status for gtx750, but I presume that you have to install newest nvidia binary drivers(version 334.16 or 334.21) for working desktop.
          There is no Nouveau support at all for Maxwell yet and thus don't need to worry about passing nomodeset yet.

I forget if it even worked right on xf86-video-vesa as I had SSH'ed in and installed the drivers.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            There is no Nouveau support at all for Maxwell yet and thus don't need to worry about passing nomodeset yet.

I forget if it even worked right on xf86-video-vesa as I had SSH'ed in and installed the drivers.
            I'm a bit confused about this... I've just installed Ubuntu 14.04 in a computer with a GTX 750 card and everything went ok, I could boot without any special parameter and the desktop was running with nouveau drivers (those bundled with distro's default 3.13 kernel) even though maxwell architecture is not supported. How's this? Maybe it's a fake GeForce card or something?

Code:
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] (rev a2)

Comment

Working...
            X