Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FGLRX still pants with Source games on Linux/Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FGLRX still pants with Source games on Linux/Ubuntu?

I'm trying to play L4D2 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 with the FGLRX Post-Release Updates driver installed through System Settings -> Additional Drivers, but it's stuttering like a bitch, and is having input latency issues too. Last time I tried playing a Source game (Half Life 2: Lost Coast) on Ubuntu 12.04.(3 I think) with my old Radeon 3450, it had major input lag with FGLRX, and the open drivers were just far too slow to use. My current Radeon 7850 is a rock solid 60 FPS with maxed settings on Windows 7 x64, but sadly my attempt to move back to my preferred OS is yet again being hampered with gaming issues.

Here is a video of the issue. YouTube's video processing has made the game look likes it's running smoother than it actually does. And sorry I couldn't record fullscreen, but the screen recorder I used didn't work unless I used windowed mode. Anyway, the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx8wRXvaoM

Thanks!

Originally posted by XingHua31 View Post
    I'm trying to play L4D2 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 with the FGLRX Post-Release Updates driver installed through System Settings -> Additional Drivers, but it's stuttering like a bitch, and is having input latency issues too. Last time I tried playing a Source game (Half Life 2: Lost Coast) on Ubuntu 12.04.(3 I think) with my old Radeon 3450, it had major input lag with FGLRX, and the open drivers were just far too slow to use. My current Radeon 7850 is a rock solid 60 FPS with maxed settings on Windows 7 x64, but sadly my attempt to move back to my preferred OS is yet again being hampered with gaming issues.

Here is a video of the issue. YouTube's video processing has made the game look likes it's running smoother than it actually does. And sorry I couldn't record fullscreen, but the screen recorder I used didn't work unless I used windowed mode. Anyway, the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx8wRXvaoM

Thanks!

I know this isn't particularly helpful but I struggled with exactly the same issue with Portal (first one, not the recently released Portal 2 beta) on my HD5870. The FPS was solid 60fps but would stutter and suffer awful input lag. Same issue, although I hadn't tried L4D2. There's a post with some information here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/765 there's a gl_finish cvar suggestion there but it made zero difference for me when I tried it.

Oddly, turning off anti-aliasing seemed to reduce the input lag despite making zero difference to the framerate as vsync was fixing it to 60.

Comment

I know this isn't particularly helpful but I struggled with exactly the same issue with Portal (first one, not the recently released Portal 2 beta) on my HD5870. The FPS was solid 60fps but would stutter and suffer awful input lag. Same issue, although I hadn't tried L4D2. There's a post with some information here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/765 there's a gl_finish cvar suggestion there but it made zero difference for me when I tried it.

Oddly, turning off anti-aliasing seemed to reduce the input lag despite making zero difference to the framerate as vsync was fixing it to 60.

Comment

I know this isn't particularly helpful but I struggled with exactly the same issue with Portal (first one, not the recently released Portal 2 beta) on my HD5870. The FPS was solid 60fps but would stutter and suffer awful input lag. Same issue, although I hadn't tried L4D2. There's a post with some information here: github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/765 there's a gl_finish cvar suggestion there but it made zero difference for me when I tried it

Oddly, turning off anti-aliasing seemed to reduce the input lag despite making zero difference to the framerate as vsync was fixing it to 60. I recently just gave up and replaced the 5870 with a cheap GTX 750ti

edit: I can't post links as my account is too new
        Last edited by Tom B; 07 March 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I've never had this problem with Source games. They work flawlessly for me, and always have.

Catalyst drivers, Ubuntu 12.04, HD7870

Comment

I have a serious performance boost in L4D2 when I switch off V-Sync in the game settings. Also disabling multicore seems to help a little. Some minor stuttering is still there though; but only for a short time after loading a game.

Probably switching off compositor (XFCE) will help. At least I have better fps in unigine valley since I did that.

Comment

for L4D2 turn off v-sync. it remove input lag for me. also install latest catalyst as it improve performance and reduce shuttering.

Comment

Working...
              X