id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

Phoronix: id Software Starts Work On Doom 4!

In addition to the good news we broke this morning that Valve is porting the Source engine to Linux, id Software has announced today that they have begun work on Doom 4! In addition, id Software has announced they'll be expanding their development team for this Doom 3 successor. They are currently looking for new creative developers and if you think you'd be a good fit for this Texas game company, head on over to the id Software careers page...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After what Doom3 turned out being, I wonder what will this title be about... In Carmack's own words: They didn't want to go with a horror-theme game for Rage, but it looks like there is going to be one to showcase the idTech 5 engine, all the same... I'm not sure what is left there to explore in the Doom Universe (the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?)

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      After what Doom3 turned out being, I wonder what will this title be about... In Carmack's own words: They didn't want to go with a horror-theme game for Rage, but it looks like there is going to be one to showcase the idTech 5 engine, all the same... I'm not sure what is left there to explore in the Doom Universe (the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?)
      There is always the option of sharks with friggen lasers.

Comment

LOL

I'm sure they'll think of something.

Comment

I'm waiting to see if carmack will eventually deliver on gpling the doom 3 engine... might be a while since raven is making another game with id tech 4 (eta 2009)

Comment

Maybe when that game is released they will also GPL idTech 4, more accurately I believe that when Rage is finally released they'll start the clean up process for idTech 4.

Comment

the developers already set the mood in Doom 1 and 3, gone to Hell to fight the bad guys in Doom 2 and RoE, what is there left to do?
              cleaning up heaven ;-)

i don't even want to think about hw requirements for that game :]

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                cleaning up heaven ;-)

Actually I don't believe they'll push the envelope that much. There's been as of late kind of a tacit agreement between IHVs and ISVs to shoot for mainstream hardware rather than aiming for the highest end. One of the aspects that has endangered so much the PC gaming scene are two factors: Price, PC gaming is much more expensive than console gaming, having into account that a single mid-to-high end video card can cost as much as a new-gen console system, a hard-core gamer buys in the order of 1 a year, at least. The other aspect is the highly variable hardware configurations. By aiming to a more common ground in hardware, the companies have kind of settled for mid-range products (which, by the way are the ones that are the bulk of sales for companies such as nVidia, rather than high-end products). Hopefully id will have that into account

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  cleaning up heaven ;-)

Heh, hex-sli and octocore to render them black screens faster.

Comment

Im hoping doom4 will be a remake of doom2, where you fight the demons on earth. And im waiting for the id tech 4 gpl release too, im thinking 2009.

Comment

Working...
                    X