Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 20 Runs Great On The Intel Bay Trail NUC

Phoronix: Fedora 20 Runs Great On The Intel Bay Trail NUC

Last month I wrote about Intel's Bay Trail NUC Kit on Linux and shared some early Intel Bay Trail Linux benchmarks. That earlier testing was done from Ubuntu 13.10 but this DN2820FYKH NUC can also be made to work quite well with Fedora 20. Here's the experience on setting up Fedora 20 for the Intel Bay Trail NUC Kit and some Ubuntu vs. Fedora benchmarks from this low-power, mini Intel system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its just too bad the Bay Trail NUC only have one USB 3 port.
    No Power over Ethernet.
    No eSATA ports.

I think it ought to have four USB 3 ports. That would be good.

Comment

On USB Fedora 20 is faster than Lubuntu but I cannot hear sound because of wrong detection.

Comment

When booting Fedora 20 with its current Linux 3.13 stable kernel, unfortunately, the system didn't boot.
        How does that equate to "runs great"? Having an unbootable system after a stable upgrade, and having to mess with development packages just to be able to use your computer is far from great as far as most users are concerned...

Comment

I don't understand what people see in Fedora. Of all the Linux distro's I've tried Fedora ranks down near the bottom in terms of stability and usability. I tried it on my MacBook Air for a few days and the bugs were so bad I had to return to Mac OSX.

Besides, the Fedora installer is one god awful piece of software. I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking with that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
            I don't understand what people see in Fedora. Of all the Linux distro's I've tried Fedora ranks down near the bottom in terms of stability and usability. I tried it on my MacBook Air for a few days and the bugs were so bad I had to return to Mac OSX.

Besides, the Fedora installer is one god awful piece of software. I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking with that thing.
            1) You get bleeding edge software updates across the board without mucking around with Gentoo or Arch
            2) You get to be able to see and try out all the latest tech that Fedora chose to adopt for that release
            3) Yum's a nice touch (sorry, but once I got used to yum there's no way I would ever go back to using apt)
            4) SELinux support is nice for security

Honestly the only big issue i have left is that they cant integrate with RPMFusion to ship a "Do you want restricted codecs?" button like Ubuntu does
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mourgos View Post
              How does that equate to "runs great"? Having an unbootable system after a stable upgrade, and having to mess with development packages just to be able to use your computer is far from great as far as most users are concerned...
              Anyone who even READS phoronix, knows what a NUC is, and is going to GET ONE has enough know-how to load their own kernel. Pulling from the nodebug tree on Fedora doesnt even require a recompile, pretty sure there's even a dedicated repo for it. Furthermore I doubt anyone is basing their immediate opinion off this article. There's obviously a bug in the current-stable version of the kernel, when the next RC comes out it gets followed up by a stable-tree x.y.z+1 bug fix update, so you might not even have to update to the in-development version, you might just need to wait a week for the next bugfix release to come out.

Inconvenient? Yes. Annoying? Absolutely. But it perfectly shows that the bug is known, has been diagnosed, a fix has been written, AND has been accepted for inclusion in mainline. The system works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                1) You get bleeding edge software updates across the board without mucking around with Gentoo or Arch
                2) You get to be able to see and try out all the latest tech that Fedora chose to adopt for that release
                3) Yum's a nice touch (sorry, but once I got used to yum there's no way I would ever go back to using apt)
                4) SELinux support is nice for security

Honestly the only big issue i have left is that they cant integrate with RPMFusion to ship a "Do you want restricted codecs?" button like Ubuntu does
                Well there is a Fedora spin called Korora which includes the RPMFusion stuff. I still can't get over how bad the installer is though.

Comment

Well there is a Fedora spin called Korora which includes the RPMFusion stuff. I still can't get over how bad the installer is though.
                  Overall, I'm not a big fan of the installer either. That being said, if you just do the default layout with one of the options (I opt for Btrfs) the number of clicks required is pretty low other than "Next/Done" clicks. Like it actually doesn't need that much input (Or doesn't seem like it anyway) and thats something compared to the old installer. THAT being said, if you need to do a custom partition layout, then yes, it can get frustrating until you figure out how.

Perspective: I came to Fedora after early-Ubuntu, Arch, and playing around with Gentoo and FreeBSD... So what I consider "bad", in-comparison, may be skewed.

Comment

yes

i neve managed to put a pc working well with fedora, in my college the people simply give up from fedora because of this, bugs and more bugs... bit i need to try fedora 20 some day to see if its better, last one i try was F18

Comment

Working...
                    X