X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    i mean really, check out this
    i tested jack couple days ago, it uses less cpu then PA
    and he wonders why pro audio people like jack...

lennarts blog is all about bashing on existing technologies
    he bashed on jack
    Did you read the fucking blog article ? What he says basically boils down to "JACK has its uses, PA has its uses, and these uses are not the same hence we should not try to merge them".

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      lennarts blog is all about bashing on existing technologies
      he bashed on jack
      he bashed on other init systems
      he bashed on... well good he didn't decide to make another project but he would probably bash on its competition too
      it would even be fine if he was objective and didn't lie about them (saying things like "sysvinit cant set the XDG environment variable" is a pure lie)
      I certainly agree that Lennart severely lacks both tact and willingness to work with other projects, which, as a developer in his position and with his influence, is a bad thing. I'm pretty sure systemd could be easier on competing projects/platforms without losing any of its advantages by separating better its API (as talked about in this post), and this could have been prioritized a bit more at the beginning (too late now).

Lennart's behaviour is probably the source of at least half the hate against systemd and PA. It's sad, because both projects are quite interesting and successful (I also happen to think PA, today, is the best choice of default audio daemon, even if jack is the obvious goto for a pro setup). I feel a bit the same way about Linus, great software, not always so great communication skills. Well, I can live with it.

Just one note regarding your points, fast startup is important in the server space if your infrastructure is based on dynamically started VMs. And people who use these techs are usually quite big consumers in the server market.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Who cares what the init system is. If the machine boots up and works, I don't give a damn.
        Red Hat cares since they couldn't figure out how to make Upstart work properly.

Comment

Working...
        X