Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom's New Open-Source GPU Stack Earns Praise

Default Broadcom's New Open-Source GPU Stack Earns Praise

Phoronix: Broadcom's New Open-Source GPU Stack Earns Praise

Last week we talked about Broadcom finally open-sourcing their VideoCore IV 3D Graphics Stack and it is indeed the real McCoy, but the $10,000 Quake III bounty has yet to be claimed for getting it to work on the Raspberry Pi...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyMjM

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Broadcom's New Open-Source GPU Stack Earns Praise

Last week we talked about Broadcom finally open-sourcing their VideoCore IV 3D Graphics Stack and it is indeed the real McCoy, but the $10,000 Quake III bounty has yet to be claimed for getting it to work on the Raspberry Pi...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyMjM
    More frendly than AMD.... really? I think they have potential but such declarations are premature... AMD has released documents and hired Mesa3d developers for multiple generations of GPUs already. I also found this... http://www.broadcom.com/docs/support...IV-AG100-R.pdf which looks like acutal documentation of the general architecture... pretty interesting although I don't know what percentage of the device it acutally covers. I doubt it covers setting up the chip and such... even so.

Isn't this just a dead GPU that had already been end of lifed? I think that describes the rpi SOC in general, even when the rpi was released.

The GPU isn't that bad... its the arm11 core that is old as dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    Isn't this just a dead GPU that had already been end of lifed? I think that describes the rpi SOC in general, even when the rpi was released.
    Most of the current mobile and discrete GPU tech is a dead-end in 3-5 years anyhow so I fail to see the relevance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFure2h17A ).

Interesting. I looked over the Wikipedia list on what products use VideoCore and their xda-developers pages, and the drivers are certainly making a difference for the Galaxy Y/Ace i crowd, as those fairly old smartphones are now getting an update to a relatively new version of Android. The more interesting hardware, though, is Galaxy S II Plus and Galaxy Grand, and I can't see much information on whether the docs help there.

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    More frendly than AMD.... really? I think they have potential but such declarations are premature... AMD has released documents and hired Mesa3d developers for multiple generations of GPUs already.
    Well, it's libv, what else did you expect him to say

More frendly than AMD.... really? I think they have potential but such declarations are premature... AMD has released documents and hired Mesa3d developers for multiple generations of GPUs already.
    Well, look who it's coming from. He probably would rank NVidia higher than AMD judging by the personal history he always brings up when discussing AMD.

More frendly than AMD.... really? I think they have potential but such declarations are premature... AMD has released documents and hired Mesa3d developers for multiple generations of GPUs already. I also found this... http://www.broadcom.com/docs/support...IV-AG100-R.pdf which looks like acutal documentation of the general architecture... pretty interesting although I don't know what percentage of the device it acutally covers. I doubt it covers setting up the chip and such... even so.
    Hey, AMD cards still use proprietary init firmware. From my understanding, these videocore drivers are documented enough not to require any such proprietary nonsense.

Note, though, that almost all Broadcom NICs still require proprietary firmware - and as a company they barely participate in any FOSS at all, their foss bcm driver is really new and barely supports any chipsets. Most of their stuff barely works under their proprietary wl driver.

wow obvious bitter troll is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    wow obvious bitter troll is obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Well, it's libv, what else did you expect him to say