Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Makes A Suid Root Wrapper For Xorg

Phoronix: Red Hat Makes A Suid Root Wrapper For Xorg

Thanks to recent work on systemd's logind, it's now possible to install the X.Org Server binary without suid root rights while having everything work correctly, assuming you are using KMS drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    "recent work on systemd's logind"

nope nope nope...
    Thats okay, but then YOU and everyone else who wants nothing to do with systemd can write your own seat manager to handle every needed use case and all of US will see if its compatible with what we're doing at that point of time as we keep pushing forward and experimenting with new ideas that at least TRY to make things better. Rather than just accepting the status quo as "good enough."
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

yay

Comment

About time

I wish we had this a decade ago or more...

Comment

its a generic wrapper...
          (Good Thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Thats okay, but then YOU and everyone else who wants nothing to do with systemd can write your own seat manager to handle every needed use case and all of US will see if its compatible with what we're doing at that point of time as we keep pushing forward and experimenting with new ideas that at least TRY to make things better. Rather than just accepting the status quo as "good enough."
            logind good
            session manager tied to boot manager bad
            this patch good
            KMS good
            wayland good
            compositing good

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
              logind good
              this patch good
              KMS good
              wayland good
              compositing good
              Since when is logind tied to grub?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                Not so sure! Since the introduction of plug-an-play hardware the difference between session manager and boot manager seems artificial..

Comment

I managed to make Xorg run as nobody:video with the nouveau driver. But the Intel driver is not working. It wants to become 'DRM master'. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                  X