Valve's Gabe Newell Makes New Linux Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    For sure, gaming on netbooks, my videocard wouldn't even fit in there, not to mention how that 500W PSU would look like. Not that anyone would even want to play on a 10" display. Nobody cares about Windows, I want to play my games on powerful hardware (so no mobile, no consoles) on my everyday OS, for which I prefer Linux (so no Windows).
    Your video card wouldn't fit in the laptops that have dominated the PC industry either. Even the serious PC games target laptops and have a few optional extras for the classic hardcore gamers with tower PCs and plug-in video cards.

The hardware on tablets is pretty good and in the ballpark of regular laptop PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      Your video card wouldn't fit in the laptops that have dominated the PC industry either. Even the serious PC games target laptops and have a few optional extras for the classic hardcore gamers with tower PCs and plug-in video cards.

The hardware on tablets is pretty good and in the ballpark of regular laptop PCs.
      I don't think laptops ever dominated the PC gaming industry.. Yes, you can play facebook games on anything, but please go try BF4 on an ultrabook or a netbook, even with a mouse. Or Battlefield is a niche, hard core PC game?

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        I don't think laptops ever dominated the PC gaming industry.. Yes, you can play facebook games on anything, but please go try BF4 on an ultrabook or a netbook, even with a mouse. Or Battlefield is a niche, hard core PC game?
        Though the time that most laptops can play the newest games are fast approaching. Sure not looking as high tech as on your Geforce 780 but still playable at atleast 30fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
          Though the time that most laptops can play the newest games are fast approaching. Sure not looking as high tech as on your Geforce 780 but still playable at atleast 30fps.
          No, the newest laptops can never play the newest games (because games requirement also increase).
          The newest laptops will soon be able to play today's games, but this has been true since ages (with yesterday's games).

Comment

No, the newest laptops can never play the newest games (because games requirement also increase).
            The newest laptops will soon be able to play today's games, but this has been true since ages (with yesterday's games).
            We will see. A radeon 7850 is going to be the baseline for mainstream gaming because of the consoles. At the same time APU's get more and more die space for graphics. At the same time a 128MB L3 cache is becoming the norm.
            I haven't felt the need to upgrade my GPU or CPU for years. Maybe because of the new consoles games are going to get a lot heavier but I don't think so. Indie developers can compete based on gameplay with the big AAA games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
              We will see. A radeon 7850 is going to be the baseline for mainstream gaming because of the consoles. At the same time APU's get more and more die space for graphics.
              It is impossible to get a video chip on an APU that is as powerful as a discrete high-end GPU, for a simple reason: cooling. That is especially true for modular systems, were the APU is not soldered onto the mainboard and has a custom cooling solution. PC gaming on desktops will always be much more powerful as on mobile systems. As for laptops, yes, there are quite powerful systems with decent videochips. Funnily, those systems are very heavy and have low battery live, nullifying the advantages of laptops. You will be better of with a desktop gaming system.

Comment

PC gaming is dominated by laptops. Every PC MMO gamer I know uses only a laptop. Same with the Starcraft/Diablo/Civilization/Portal gamers. Those games are made to run on laptops.

BF4 can totally run with good settings at a high frame rate on a new laptop with one of the better integrated graphics chips like the Intel HD 5200: http://youtu.be/q_BnVmDHTtc

The new Nvidia Tegra K1 chipset, designed for tablets, is supposed to beat Intel's Haswell stuff like the HD 5200.

When you can get an Android tablets or netbooks with keyboard+mouse and run BF4 and Dark Souls 2 and similar games at hi-res with decent settings, I don't think many people are going to want to buy a dedicated tower PC for more obscure graphics enhancements.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                  PC gaming is dominated by laptops. Every PC MMO gamer I know uses only a laptop. Same with the Starcraft/Diablo/Civilization/Portal gamers. Those games are made to run on laptops.

BF4 can totally run with good settings at a high frame rate on a new laptop with one of the better integrated graphics chips like the Intel HD 5200: http://youtu.be/q_BnVmDHTtc

The new Nvidia Tegra K1 chipset, designed for tablets, is supposed to beat Intel's Haswell stuff like the HD 5200.

When you can get an Android tablets or netbooks with keyboard+mouse and run BF4 and Dark Souls 2 and similar games at hi-res with decent settings, I don't think many people are going to want to buy a dedicated tower PC for more obscure graphics enhancements.
                  You know a lot of oddballs. Laptop gamers are people who are in a confused state -- they can't decide if they want a laptop or a gaming desktop so they waste an insane amount of money getting a gaming laptop only to use it like a gaming desktop. The best of both worlds is to buy a cheap energy-efficient laptop and then build yourself a gaming desktop -- save a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    It is impossible to get a video chip on an APU that is as powerful as a discrete high-end GPU, for a simple reason: cooling. That is especially true for modular systems, were the APU is not soldered onto the mainboard and has a custom cooling solution. PC gaming on desktops will always be much more powerful as on mobile systems. As for laptops, yes, there are quite powerful systems with decent videochips. Funnily, those systems are very heavy and have low battery live, nullifying the advantages of laptops. You will be better of with a desktop gaming system.
                    Cooling isn't a problem really. Kaveri currently has a 512-core GCN-based GPU inside of it. With a single die shrink, it would be possible to have a 1024-core (HD 7850 specs) or 1536-core (if they keep the quad-core approach) GCN-based GPU that consumes as much energy/produces as much heat as the last generation did. What's really a problem with APUs is the inherent lack of memory bandwidth. GPUs use RAM that's 10-20x faster than the fastest system RAM. However, an APU has to rely on the super slow system RAM. The only solution is for APUs to ditch DDR3 and switch to using hybrid memory cubes.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      If they control his online communication, it's not far off.
                      Oh yes, because the lolcat pics my mom sends me are sooooooooooooo important to Google hell, they could even show me more lolcats in ads.
                      And if you have confidential data to send to another company for instance, well just act responsibly and encrypt it properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X