Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta Released

Phoronix: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta Released

If you've been looking out for OpenOffice.org 3.0 or are just looking for a new software package to try out this afternoon, OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta has been released. OpenOffice.org 3.0 integrates ODF 1.2 support, Microsoft Office 2007 Import Filters, charting enhancements, improved note capabilities in Writer, new icons, and a start center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To be honest, it seems as if not much has changed. It seems as if it could of just been another minor version, as the change between openoffice 1.0 and 2.0 was major, 2.0 to 3.0 just seems to be some minor things like minor changes in the UI, upgrade ot odf, and some new icons. I was expecting some radical changes, such as a revamped UI, smaller memory footprint, new features etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbtech View Post
      To be honest, it seems as if not much has changed. It seems as if it could of just been another minor version, as the change between openoffice 1.0 and 2.0 was major, 2.0 to 3.0 just seems to be some minor things like minor changes in the UI, upgrade ot odf, and some new icons. I was expecting some radical changes, such as a revamped UI, smaller memory footprint, new features etc.
      well, the major changes are on osx. the acqua integration and the lack of the need for x11 on osx justifies a major change, in my opinion.
      i don't know if the novell's openxml-odf converter is directly implemented inside openoffice or it is still an external filter; i haven't seen stuff related to this issue, but the office 2007 support seem to say that it has been merged.

a thing that i'd like to see from openoffice devs is the following: the removal of tools compiled inside openoffice that are also installed on users' systems (the whole blob includes every dependency with the exception of java).

by the way has someone tested it with openjdk?!

Comment

I would love to see more coverage in Phoronix for the Openoffice project. For example, an article covering Michael Meeks analysis on the current state of the project:

Keep up with the great work guys!

Albert.

Comment

Working...
        X