Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Systemd Gets A Stable Release Repository, Backports

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,106

    Default Systemd Gets A Stable Release Repository, Backports

    Phoronix: Systemd Gets A Stable Release Repository, Backports

    Motivated in part by Debian switching to systemd and then Ubuntu switching to systemd, the systemd developers have now setup a stable repository for the widely-used init system for carrying back-ports to existing stable releases and sharing stable patches amongst package maintainers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxOTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Well, that's nice. One of the biggest point against systemd (that I agreed with) is that systemd is a big, moving target, that wouldn't exactly fit the Debian ideology.

    This fix it. Depending on how this works out, I could see this "stable" branch being adopted by more conservative distributions (IE not Arch). Especially if the systemd pace doesn't slow down (they seems to introduce some pretty big features/changes every release, and they release often).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spittie View Post
    Well, that's nice. One of the biggest point against systemd (that I agreed with) is that systemd is a big, moving target, that wouldn't exactly fit the Debian ideology.

    This fix it. Depending on how this works out, I could see this "stable" branch being adopted by more conservative distributions (IE not Arch). Especially if the systemd pace doesn't slow down (they seems to introduce some pretty big features/changes every release, and they release often).
    Well there aren't many distributions left. In case of Slackware I think that we'll rather see RMS using Microsoft Windows 8 on a Macbook than systemd being adopted as default init.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    113

    Default

    What crowd is Slackware directed towards? I don't find it appealing at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Well there aren't many distributions left. In case of Slackware I think that we'll rather see RMS using Microsoft Windows 8 on a Macbook than systemd being adopted as default init.
    Why? Even Gentoo now has systemd on equal footing with OpenRC. What makes Slackware so different?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by computerquip View Post
    What crowd is Slackware directed towards? I don't find it appealing at all.
    More or less the same target audience as gentoo, but who don't want to go to all of the trouble of building a gentoo installation, and/or want to do dependency resolution by hand.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Well there aren't many distributions left. In case of Slackware I think that we'll rather see RMS using Microsoft Windows 8 on a Macbook than systemd being adopted as default init.
    Patrick have already talked about that Slackware would be using systemd if it was too much trouble not to adopt it. Some Slacker have already been working on systemd support for Slackware.

    It is only a matter of time before Slackware starts using the new de facto Linux plumbing system, partially because systemd is part of the future Linux development stack that everyone will develop against, partly because it seems unlikely that Slackware will ever get the help and manpower needed to develop an alternative to systemd.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by interested View Post
    Patrick have already talked about that Slackware would be using systemd if it was too much trouble not to adopt it. Some Slacker have already been working on systemd support for Slackware.

    It is only a matter of time before Slackware starts using the new de facto Linux plumbing system, partially because systemd is part of the future Linux development stack that everyone will develop against, partly because it seems unlikely that Slackware will ever get the help and manpower needed to develop an alternative to systemd.
    quote from the interview with PV on LQ that you are probably referencing

    "Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and doing it well. "

    that does not go with what you stated

    slackware, the way i see it, is made to be simple and flexible
    (that is part of the "no dependency resolution" thing, even thou there are tools for it if you want)

    it is not about manpower either
    there is already an alternative to udev, and there will probably be to logind when they brake the api console-kit uses


    edit: PS it's not about politics either
    i doubt many slackers care about politics and popularity

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    quote from the interview with PV on LQ that you are probably referencing

    "Concerning systemd, I do like the idea of a faster boot time (obviously), but I also like controlling the startup of the system with shell scripts that are readable, and I'm guessing that's what most Slackware users prefer too. I don't spend all day rebooting my machine, and having looked at systemd config files it seems to me a very foreign way of controlling a system to me, and attempting to control services, sockets, devices, mounts, etc., all within one daemon flies in the face of the UNIX concept of doing one thing and doing it well. "

    that does not go with what you stated

    slackware, the way i see it, is made to be simple and flexible
    (that is part of the "no dependency resolution" thing, even thou there are tools for it if you want)

    it is not about manpower either
    there is already an alternative to udev, and there will probably be to logind when they brake the api console-kit uses


    edit: PS it's not about politics either
    i doubt many slackers care about politics and popularity
    Here is part of the quote you left out (my emphasis):

    "Yeah, I see a few things coming down the line that may cause a shakeup to our usual way of doing things, and could force Slackware to become, well, perhaps less UNIX-like. I guess the two big ones that are on the horizon are Wayland and systemd. Whether we end up using them or not remains to be seen. It's quite possible that we won't end up having a choice in the matter depending on how development that's out of our hands goes. It's hard to say whether moving to these technologies would be a good thing for Slackware overall. "
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ckware-949029/

    Slackware will move in the same direction as every other Linux distro: Sysvinit and X are on minimum life support right now, with systemd and Wayland being the future of Linux. Patrick is perhaps sceptical, but Slackware is such a small distro that it won't have the manpower to even maintain status quo. There simply doesn't seem to be any developer impetus to maintain a full featured Sysvinit Linux distro. Maybe some Debian Sysvinit derivative will be made, but it will mostly be a server version, since DE support for non-systemd systems have been bit-rotting for years now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Wayland is against Unix too now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •