Thread: KDE Frameworks 5 Alpha 2 Works On Wayland Linux Support

Default KDE Frameworks 5 Alpha 2 Works On Wayland Linux Support

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Alpha 2 Works On Wayland Linux Support

The second alpha development release of the forthcoming KDE Frameworks 5 is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyMTA

Inb4 Honton

Great to see KDE progressing nicely, it will be an awesome, slick, extensible and sensibly engineered desktop once it's finished. I expect Plasma and Applications to really shine with the new framework, now that all important lessons have been learned and the technology has had time to mature!

This is confusing:

"running KDE Frameworks 5 on Linux"

(KDE Frameworks always ran on Linux.")

shouldn't it rather be:

"running KDE Frameworks 5 on Wayland on Linux"

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Inb4 Honton

Great to see KDE progressing nicely, it will be an awesome, slick, extensible and sensibly engineered desktop once it's finished. I expect Plasma and Applications to really shine with the new framework, now that all important lessons have been learned and the technology has had time to mature!
    One thing I really look forward to, is being able to run KDE Plasma 2 on Wayland. The security benefits are enormous compared to X. X was a fine solution in its day, but I think many have longed for a replacement for X for a very long time.

Personally I will switch to Wayland and KDE SC 5/Plasma 2 at the first given opportunity, even though I think KDE SC 4.12 is awesome, beautiful and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by interested View Post
    One thing I really look forward to, is being able to run KDE Plasma 2 on Wayland. The security benefits are enormous compared to X. X was a fine solution in its day, but I think many have longed for a replacement for X for a very long time.

Personally I will switch to Wayland and KDE SC 5/Plasma 2 at the first given opportunity, even though I think KDE SC 4.12 is awesome, beautiful and fast.
    Its going to be available for testing in Suse 13.2, and Arch will probably have repos set up for by then as well so those are your options if you want to see it as soon as possible.