Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Gallium3D LLVMpipe Performance In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Gallium3D LLVMpipe Performance In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

    Phoronix: Gallium3D LLVMpipe Performance In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

    For those curious about the current performance level of the LLVMpipe software-renderer OpenGL driver for Mesa's Gallium3D in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, here's some new benchmarks.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20151

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Could we pleeeease see a benchmark of LLVMpipe in VMs, compared to VM's native OpenGL passthrough?
    It feels faster than VirtualBox's 3D acceleration, by eye at least. I wonder if that's true and how VMware compares.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shnatsel View Post
    Could we pleeeease see a benchmark of LLVMpipe in VMs, compared to VM's native OpenGL passthrough?
    It feels faster than VirtualBox's 3D acceleration, by eye at least. I wonder if that's true and how VMware compares.
    +1 asdasdasdasd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shnatsel View Post
    Could we pleeeease see a benchmark of LLVMpipe in VMs, compared to VM's native OpenGL passthrough?
    It feels faster than VirtualBox's 3D acceleration, by eye at least. I wonder if that's true and how VMware compares.
    I too think this would be interesting. I'm also interested to see AMD's performance. The higher frequency and shorter pipelines must make a massive difference in speed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Would have been nice to see it compared to an older version of it self as well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    75

    Default

    How comes the old Radeons 4xxx can keep up or exceed the new nvidias GTX 7xx in those tests? Are those tests CPU bottlenecked or is it a coincidence radeon HW matches the patterns in those tests better?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    How comes the old Radeons 4xxx can keep up or exceed the new nvidias GTX 7xx in those tests? Are those tests CPU bottlenecked or is it a coincidence radeon HW matches the patterns in those tests better?
    As the article states they where running the nouveau driver and as such as not fully optimized and running at the lowest clock speed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Would have been nice to see it compared to an older version of it self as well.
    That's what I was thinking!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Would have been nice to see it compared to an older version of it self as well.
    Hard to do too well when going back with older Mesa releases doesn't build against the latest LLVM release that has the best support, so if using an old LLVM release that works for all intended versions of Mesa LLVMpipe to test, then you're missing out on the latest work within LLVM...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hard to do too well when going back with older Mesa releases doesn't build against the latest LLVM release that has the best support, so if using an old LLVM release that works for all intended versions of Mesa LLVMpipe to test, then you're missing out on the latest work within LLVM...
    Yeah you should pretty much have to run the test on an old distro like you do for the legacy Catalyst tests.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •