No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little update: Phoronix has an own article about the MacOS port http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODA1MA

Comment

• According to the Telegraph Valve have confirmed that a native Linux Steam client is coming in the next few months:

Comment

• Originally posted by melat0nin View Post
        According to the Telegraph Valve have confirmed that a native Linux Steam client is coming in the next few months:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...goes-live.html
        Yeah we've been over this already. The Telegraph most likely got their information from Phoronix, and it isn't backed up by Valve at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
          Yeah we've been over this already. The Telegraph most likely got their information from Phoronix, and it isn't backed up by Valve at all.
          people keep saying this, but that's a big assumption to make. Phoronix never said anything anything to the effect of "Valve has also confirmed"
          I assume that a major newspaper would only post facts, not reference the blogosphere. Shoot, I doubt those guys at the telegraph have even heard of phoronix. I think to assume that they pulled this from phoronix is just to much of an assumption, and completely baseless. Not impossible, but no information indicates this, and the diction of the article doesn't correlate to anything said by phoronix, ever.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Comment

• passed the 1 min mark, wanted to add:

"That level of conjecture is on level with the quality of reporting you'd be accusing the telegraph of..."

Comment

• You are incorrect. The articles here always suggest "it's official from Valve" which is bullshit. Besides Phoronix is more known than you think. /. for example tends to make news out of Phoronix news. So it's very well possible that the snake bites its own tail especially since Phoronix people (as it looks) don't really check their news much but instead jump on any hype-train passing by.

Comment

• Phoronix made news "It's official now..." after ppl posted about telegraph's post. And their post says "VALVE confirmed....", not "according to phoronix's sources steam is coming for linux too in next coming months".

They could have googled steam linux and found it at first but why that non-technie newspaper would searched for if there is linux client coming too. I admit it sounds bit odd that valve would confirmed it throught only one minor newspaper but i can't answer that.

I think it was in irc where some1 writed that (s)he had writed email to telegraph about sources and they answered that it were valve directly.

And last but not unsignifigant anyway, most "good" newspapers tend to make internal check for sources when claim's has been made before publishing storys. I dont know if telegraph is "that" kind of newspaper tho.

Comment

Working...
                X