No announcement yet.

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we would all (well almost all) like to get our hopes up, but all arrows on the linux front point to dedicated server. i know off the top of my head that gameservers.com (the largest GSP i believe) uses linux almost exclusively when the option is possible. The demand for steam on the desktop is not nearly as large as dedi server on linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by quintesse View Post
      Exactly. Even worse, we're only talking about Steam here, so even if it was ported to Linux there still wouldn't be any games to sell! Steam in itself won't magically conjure Linux gams out of thin air.

The only thing that would maybe make a difference, and it's a big MAYBE, is that having a single distribution mechanism would convince some studios that trying to support Linux is worth the effort. But like you said, I wouldn't hold my breath.
      Some of the games on Steam have a Linux version. World of Goo, Doom 3, and the older UT games come to mind.

Comment

• Shadowgrounds should be available for Linux too. I'd definitely snap them up for Linux from Stream if I could.

Comment

• Too many Steam games have Linux versions - including the upcoming Postal 3. If Valve ported their Source engine to abandon DirectX, then it would be a giant leap forwards towards Linux and would also motivate Microsoft to be more competitive. Not to mention that if the games would run better on Linux due to some nasty community tweaks Linux would get a bigger user space - you'd be surprised what would some people do for a few extra fps.

Comment

• before we ever see steam ported to linux we need a decent ati driver, which we dont presently have. When we get that, then we can start talking about a linux client.

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              before we ever see steam ported to linux we need a decent ati driver, which we dont presently have. When we get that, then we can start talking about a linux client.
              Do the proprietary drivers from ati have problems with any native games? From what I've seen, they're fine for that.

Comment

• Native games work fine. A few do have problems with the drivers, like rendering issues and whatnot, but those are usually resolved after a few 3D tweaks/fixes.

Comment

• Tweaking X or related activities is something 95% of steam users dont know how to do and will never know how to do. Rendering issues are a big deal; considering we are talking about the video card/drivers..... If something bugs out with the proprietary driver (and you know damn right something will), the first thing users are going to do is turn to steam. You think they are ready for that? What kind of a response are they going to give? maybe something like: "We are sorry your driver fucked up on you, but your on your own. You could try to contact AMD but they prolly wont do shit because your not a fireGL customer. Oh and the open driver isnt good enough to play any 3D games yet. Perhaps you should wait a few years on that. Sucks to be you. Have a nice day.

Love Gabe."

Im not saying it would be bad for 'em to port it to linux, but i had my hopes up long ago and they had been shattered. Noone else needs to be fed false hope. When steam makes an official announcement of a linux port, then we can look up. The Closed ati driver is still hit or miss situation, take that note from Carmack. The closed driver is getting much better over time, as is the open driver. Hopefully some good will come out of waiting.

Comment

• Be tweaking I meant changing a few options in AMDCCCLE. That's "normal" when it comes to games even on Windows. Some games have issues with certain filters, or a certain driver option causes problems.
                    Rendering issues and other bugs are unavoidable. Every driver has those in one way or another and it depends on the game. Normally, a user reports the problems and they get addressed by the game developer or whoever maintains the video driver in use (or by both).

Comment

• All respect to Carmack, but I wonder if drivers really are that big a deal?

The Unigine developers seems to be able to cooperate with AMD, and not release until their engine works. Is there any reason iD and Valve couldn't do the same?

Comment

Working...
                      X