Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if it's official yet, but the hints are fairly strong:
    If you thought Valve's switch from Internet Explorer to WebKit for its new beta version of digital distribution platform Steam — or the semi-irrefutable hints of OSX compatibility within —…

Comment

• Ok I hadn't seen that, I'll accept that it's pretty much official now .

Now we just have to wait and see how long it is before a Linux version is available...

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
        Now we just have to wait and see how long it is before a Linux version is available...
        I wouldn't hold my breath. Plenty of games are released for OSX with no accompanied Linux port.

The technical side of things really seems to be the least of your worries when it comes to having a game ported.

Comment

• My personal opinion is that they will probably focus on the Mac port right now, so no Linux client in the short term. But after that is all done and released (final), I assume they will decide whether to do the Linux port or not and that'd be still in 2010.

Comment

• Well, the new Steam beta client has migrated from i.e. to Webkit for its html rendering and all the images released so for allude to the source engine being ported to Os X - given that Apple haven't created there own DirectX Winesque layer, it'd be safe to say that source will be ported to OpenGL.

Since we have native implementations of both OpenGL + Webkit; that's two less impediments to a linux port.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
              So, does it run any better in Wine now? At the very least, I hope that is improved.
              the Steam Beta breaks existing wine support for me...

Comment

• if there is no press release or a official link for me it's still a rumor/fantasy... none of the picture of boingboing.net's article has valve's logo on it so... it's Bullshit!

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  I wouldn't hold my breath. Plenty of games are released for OSX with no accompanied Linux port.

The technical side of things really seems to be the least of your worries when it comes to having a game ported.
                  Exactly. Even worse, we're only talking about Steam here, so even if it was ported to Linux there still wouldn't be any games to sell! Steam in itself won't magically conjure Linux gams out of thin air.

The only thing that would maybe make a difference, and it's a big MAYBE, is that having a single distribution mechanism would convince some studios that trying to support Linux is worth the effort. But like you said, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                    if there is no press release or a official link for me it's still a rumor/fantasy... none of the picture of boingboing.net's article has valve's logo on it so... it's Bullshit!
                    Sigh.. the PR department of Valve have been sending out images like these to a number of blogs, but whatever...

Comment

• Well, I have my hopes up. Too many clues say that they will go Linux too.
                      I mean if they drop DirectX and go Mac, how hard is it to go Linux too?
                      Plus the fact that they were recruiting Linux devs too.

Comment

Working...
                      X