• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by me262 View Post
    Well, that's odd...
    Why am I having Deja Vu here...

Oh right. UT3...
    Eh? It's Completely different. Here Valve have apparently decided that they should finally port steam+source to linux, which wont just happen over night, Valve hasn't even annouced or confermed the rumor/news. With UT3 we where told before the release that a port would be made a promise on which (and past performance) people went and bought it. Almost a year later and nothing, not a word.

Comment

• I was more referring to the "It's coming soon" spiel.

Comment

• Well take it for it's worth but the FUD kings at the inquirer are saying google's going to purchase valve.

Google to buy Valve

Austin GDC 2008 Steaming away

By Charlie Demerjian: Wednesday, 17 September 2008, 9:59 AM

WELL PLACED SOURCES tell us that Google is going to be buying Valve any second now. If you have to stop and think about why, you probably are not aware of Steam, Valve's amazing content distribution platform.

Google Portal may be a nice idea, but that is irrelevant. Google Content Distribution (Beta) however should make just about every other competitor lose several years of sleep, most of their remaining hair, and large gobs of stock price.

Valve has the best content distribution platform out there, bar none. Steam may have had rough patches here and there, but they are almost all ironed out now, and just about everyone that matters has signed up to use it.

When Google picks them up, it will be a clean kill, no one else will matter. It is a good buy for them, a good thing for Valve, and in general, good for everyone except MS. Then again, they are irrelevant now, so who cares?

Long live Voogle, or is that Golve? DAMMIT!?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Well take it for it's worth but the FUD kings at the inquirer are saying google's going to purchase valve.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...7/google-valve
          Heh... Anything the Inqwell publishes should be taken with a 1-ton block of salt. The only thing they've been all THAT close on was the NVidia story of late.

Comment

• They also said that LGP would buy Epic Games so that UT3 linux release would then being boosted...
            The EPIC action has risen by 20% in the last 20 minutes. LGP action by twice the value...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
              They also said that LGP would buy Epic Games so that UT3 linux release would then being boosted...
              The EPIC action has risen by 20% in the last 20 minutes. LGP action by twice the value...
              Wouldn't that go the other way? I can't imagine LGP has the liquid assets to acquire Epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
                Wouldn't that go the other way? I can't imagine LGP has the liquid assets to acquire Epic.
                I have a hard time believing LGP has ANY liquid assets. Even their programmers make only a percentage of the sales from the work done on the project they contributed too.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  I have a hard time believing LGP has ANY liquid assets. Even their programmers make only a percentage of the sales from the work done on the project they contributed too.
                  It's a labour of love, right Svartalf?

Comment

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    It's a labour of love, right Svartalf?
                    Heh... Either that or it's just Masochism. (Both?? )

I never got into it thinking I would make more than a smattering of cash for the first titles. Right now, I view it as getting to see a segment of the industry I'd have never seen up-close otherwise, a chance to see code I'd otherwise NEVER get to see, and possibly a chance to fix the game situation on Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Heh... Either that or it's just Masochism. (Both?? )

I never got into it thinking I would make more than a smattering of cash for the first titles. Right now, I view it as getting to see a segment of the industry I'd have never seen up-close otherwise, a chance to see code I'd otherwise NEVER get to see, and possibly a chance to fix the game situation on Linux.
                      Admit it, you got into it to meet women.

Update: Valve's Doug Lombardi has told the MTV Multiplayer blog the Inq's story is a "complete fabrication." Lombardi went on to specify that Google is in fact not buying Valve.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 17 September 2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X