Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

With the open-source graphics driver stack found in the forthcoming release of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Mesa 10.1 + Linux 3.13), the performance of the community-developed Radeon Gallium3D driver is now close to that of the official AMD Catalyst driver for recent generations of Radeon graphics cards. In several OpenGL tests the "RadeonSI" driver can even run 80% the speed of AMD's official Catalyst Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see these results, especially considering if this includes the regression shown in tests earlier today.

But before anyone gets too excited, keep in mind that (IIRC), catalyst on linux is about 80% slower than it is on Windows. But, the open source drivers have come a long way and are really proving to be worth using. When (not if) the FOSS drivers beat linux catalyst, that'll be one hell of a milestone.

Comment

Bit strange.

R600g was always below Catalyst. :|

With such small difference R600g should at least few times go above.

Anyway, what's left for r600g from optimizations? All hw is supported (though hyperz is not reliable).
      Memory management? Gallium tuning? Code tuning? Better shader compilers?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        But before anyone gets too excited, keep in mind that (IIRC), catalyst on linux is about 80% slower than it is on Windows.
        80% slower or 80% of Windows performance. Because if it's the former then that is ridiculously bad. Because I get 40-50% of Windows performance even with a 6950 and non-functional DPM on the FOSS driver (although it should be running at max clocks at least). And that is a VFLW 4 card that supposedly has some performance issues.

EDIT: It has to be the latter if FGLRX is getting better performance in the posted benchmarks at least. Or they've just gotten better in recent releases.
        Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 04 March 2014, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          80% slower or 80% of Windows performance. Because if it's the former then that is ridiculously bad. Because I get 40-50% of Windows performance even with a 6950 and non-functional DPM on the FOSS driver (although it should be running at max clocks at least). And that is a VFLW 4 card that supposedly has some performance issues.

EDIT: It has to be the latter if FGLRX is getting better performance in the posted benchmarks at least. Or they've just gotten better in recent releases.
          6950 do not have those nice SB optimizations.
          So 40-50% is less than 80% of Lin Catalyst which is 80% of Win Catalyst on top of that.

DPM should work for You. (If not that is a bug, so You can check it by simply using newer kernel)

Comment

How the hell did AMD/ATI manage to screw up the performance of the Catalyst driver on Linux compared to Windows? From what I've heard, they're supposed to be the same codebase. NVidia doesn't have this problem so it's obviously not inherit to the Linux platform. 80% of the WIndows driver is pretty significant.

Comment

what the benchmarks show to me is that old engines run fine on my 5830 and I don't need to upgrade. however it is horribly slow in Metro LL and Serious Sam3. Anyway Michael please PLEASE ask Valve to releas a Source benchmark for you, should not be that hard (the GPU test included in CS: Srouce for example). That way they have a benchmark for driver performance and you have a solid base benchmark for PTS.

I am more and more inclined to switch to Nvidia card + blob. The 750 Ti looks like a very nice package.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                How the hell did AMD/ATI manage to screw up the performance of the Catalyst driver on Linux compared to Windows? From what I've heard, they're supposed to be the same codebase. NVidia doesn't have this problem so it's obviously not inherit to the Linux platform. 80% of the WIndows driver is pretty significant.
                1) But they did. Nvidia driver was never full, reliable 100%. That's recent development.
                2) Common code base? Yes. But still kernel side code is different. Kernel side optimizations are different. Some other code (GLX vs WGL) should also be different.
                3) Its time for new round of comparative benchmarks for Catalyst Lin vs Win. But wait, that is just what Michael is working on!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  Honestly, NVIDIA performance on Linux doesn't look that great at all either. I've never seen a benchmark that made NVIDIA cards look good -- they all look disappointing to me in comparison to Windows drivers. There's extremely uneven levels of performance with different models -- most of which run much slower than they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    6950 do not have those nice SB optimizations.
                    So 40-50% is less than 80% of Lin Catalyst which is 80% of Win Catalyst on top of that.

DPM should work for You. (If not that is a bug, so You can check it by simply using newer kernel)
                    My mistake, that comparison was between a high end game running with Wine (Witcher 2) + CSMT and native Windows. The performance differential will likely be a fair bit smaller with a native game. I don't have the card installed anymore so I can't test at the moment.

The DPM issue is a known bug with Cayman cards.

The 6950 does support SB BTW, and had a pretty dramatic increase last time I compared. It might not be quite as good as older R600 supported cards, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X