Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    radeon r600 can't play flash with vdpau , is totally broken, and I have random freeze with google chrome if I use gpu aceleration.
    That should work with Firefox and the older Flash release at least.

Comment

It's a bit off-topic.

If today, I want to get a computer and use Open Source video drivers, what would be my best bet?
      I need flawless desktop experience (dual screen, KMS, etc...) and light gaming. I'm coding most of the time, but I may fire steam once in a while.

I'm used to intel drivers, which work great. Would HD5200 be any good?

I like the Nvidia 750 Ti, is there any chance that nouveau will make use of its potential in a relatively close future?

AMD Radeon seems the way to go to get the best performances with OS drivers yet, but how is "desktop" support?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        That should work with Firefox and the older Flash release at least.
        firefox + flash 11.2 = flash crash and firefox freeze

chromium + flash 11.2 = flash crash

if I use vdpau with my apu a8 5600k ;(, doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          honestly, nvidia performance on linux doesn't look that great at all either. I've never seen a benchmark that made nvidia cards look good -- they all look disappointing to me in comparison to windows drivers. There's extremely uneven levels of performance with different models -- most of which run much slower than they should be.

loooooooooooooooooool

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post
            It's a bit off-topic.

If today, I want to get a computer and use Open Source video drivers, what would be my best bet?
            I need flawless desktop experience (dual screen, KMS, etc...) and light gaming. I'm coding most of the time, but I may fire steam once in a while.

I like the Nvidia 750 Ti, is there any chance that nouveau will make use of its potential in a relatively close future?

AMD Radeon seems the way to go to get the best performances with OS drivers yet, but how is "desktop" support?

Thanks.
            Intel IGP will do fine -- the recent ones can use up to 3 screens. On a desktop, you probably won't be able to get better than a HD 4600 except if you go for some special, small-form factor machines.

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            Sure. If it starts at all.
            Catalyst 14.1 isn't even able to play videos without crashing X. Setting render method to opengl helps but this doesn't rise the quality.
            Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
            Catalyst have serious lag after 30 hours of use..., radeon r600 can't play flash with vdpau , is totally broken, and I have random freeze with google chrome if I use gpu aceleration.
            I was not talking about Catalyst (rolling eyes don't fix problems, too).

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post
              It's a bit off-topic.

Thanks.
              I can recommend pre-gcn radeon cards completely. I was totally happy with my Trinity (A10-5800k) until i bought Kaveri (yeah i knew it before :-P). Richland will do fine.
              Personally i don't want to support Intel. We need a vital market - we need AMD.

Comment

Nice article comparing AMD Linux OSS driver's performance to their Catalyst drivers. I've been waiting for an article like this so that I could shit up a forum talking about Nvidia and Windows and Flash acceleration and shit.

Gentlemen, please.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Performance Gets Close To Catalyst On Ubuntu 14.04

With the open-source graphics driver stack found in the forthcoming release of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Mesa 10.1 + Linux 3.13), the performance of the community-developed Radeon Gallium3D driver is now close to that of the official AMD Catalyst driver for recent generations of Radeon graphics cards. In several OpenGL tests the "RadeonSI" driver can even run 80% the speed of AMD's official Catalyst Linux driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19950
                  These are really, really good results. We shouldn't forget that 5 years ago, we were excited about drawing a triangle and immediately locking up on current hardware. Now the latest and greatest runs at almost the blob speed for common games, and at about 60-80% on the most challenging OpenGL workloads.

The only missing piece of the puzzle is OpenCL support, does anyone know how that is doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Rendering issues are becoming rarer and rarer. Most games can be run -- OpenGL 3.3 with some 4.x features. Anti-aliasing (MSAA) and anisotropic filtering are supported -- use them.
                    You think.. Look at this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73739

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                      ....the bug is close useless without an apitrace.

Comment

Working...
                      X