Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Support On Chrome OS Is Unlikely

Phoronix: Wine Support On Chrome OS Is Unlikely

If you were hoping to eventually be able to run Windows applications within Google's Chrome OS environment via Wine, the possibilities of that working out well are very slim...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ChromeOS sucks anyway. Better solution would be to replace it with Ubuntu, but I hear that's hard to do.

Comment

On the other "google" front chromium developers just killed video decoding acceleration on linux by marking it "wont fix"

and the reason was inability to make it stable

:-(

Comment

Who would anyone want to have WINE made for Chrome OS? I think Google could get into legal trouble with Microsoft if WINE is included in Chrome OS.

Comment

How can Wine work on ARM? It doesn't emulate a CPU and can run code only on x86. Unless I misunderstood something. If this all is about x86 then it's another story. Doesn't ChromeOS allow installing extra packages in developer mode? It's essentially a custom Gentoo. So why wouldn't Wine work there?
          Last edited by shmerl; 03 March 2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I have to disagree on your comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            Who would anyone want to have WINE made for Chrome OS? I think Google could get into legal trouble with Microsoft if WINE is included in Chrome OS.
            1. wine on mac's? microsoft have not suse apple at all!

2. wine is not supported by google it is open source and supported/hosted by code weaver

3. when an application/software is made the developer/owner or he/she will go though the legal stuff not the platform the it's based on?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              ChromeOS sucks anyway. Better solution would be to replace it with Ubuntu, but I hear that's hard to do.
              Xubuntu seems to be working well on the Acer C720, complete with Steam.
              http://www.reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/co...the_acer_c720/

Here's one list of working Steam games (including, funny enough, Skyrim on Wine at 15-20 fps):
              http://www.reddit.com/r/Crouton/comm...p_etc_through/

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                How can Wine work on ARM? It doesn't emulate a CPU and can run code only on x86. Unless I misunderstood something. If this all is about x86 then it's another story. Doesn't ChromeOS allow installing extra packages in developer mode? It's essentially a custom Gentoo. So why wouldn't Wine work there?
                I remember reading that they're working on interfacing with QEMU to run x86 software on arm.
                And yes, this is about running Wine as a Chrome plugin. Once you enable developer mode, you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                  I remember reading that they're working on interfacing with QEMU to run x86 software on arm.
                  This sounds like performance nightmare, especially on mobile devices. But I guess it can have some uses.

Comment

And this is one of the reasons why Chrome OS can't be mainstream, even if all applications are made offline. It's made for the cloud, very secure, but with the sandboxed approach model, the available APIs are very limited. If I'm not mistaken, another big limitation (for security reasons) is that chrome apps (as any HTML5 app) have their own sandboxed filesystem storage, but can't access the global filesystem.

Android at least exposes Linux syscalls.

Chrome OS with Android APIs (thus, running apps on the Android Dalvik/Art RT instead of sanboxing as a chrome process) would offer a much more capable system.
                    Last edited by newwen; 04 March 2014, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X