PulseAudio 5.0 Supports BlueZ 5, Native Log Target For Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    Wait, what? I thought journald was supposed to be a drop in replacement for syslog. Now they're saying apps have to be ported to the new logging system?
    Using systemd journal will already provide much more info than syslog+sysvinit when the app uses syslog interface (or even just stdout/stderr). Those interfaces have no way of providing fine-grained structured logging, so that requires using the native systemd interface. Completely optional, but very useful.

Comment

Problems with games, with pepper flash, with skype, with vlc..., pulseaudio is the firt reason because I won't use linux every day.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        Problems with games, with pepper flash, with skype, with vlc..., pulseaudio is the firt reason because I won't use linux every day.
        In other words, mostly due to problems with proprietary software?..

Comment

Is is still like that? Problems with audio on various Linux games was one reason I stopped using it on a regular basis. Though I'm still interested in how well these things work nowadays but I don't take time to test it out myself. So is it still like that you have to fiddle around to get such apps working with sound correctly? (honest question)

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Think Bluetooth headsets, for use with Skype and other voice apps. Very useful, compared to the alternative - tethering yourself to the computer via a wire attached to your headset.
            Wired has the upside of being more stable, more universal, being cheaper, having slightly less latency, better quality, no background noise, no potential health issues due to wireless thing near your brain for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              In other words, mostly due to problems with proprietary software?..
              VLC is not proprietary.
              VLC also has no problems with PA here.

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
                Is is still like that? Problems with audio on various Linux games was one reason I stopped using it on a regular basis. Though I'm still interested in how well these things work nowadays but I don't take time to test it out myself. So is it still like that you have to fiddle around to get such apps working with sound correctly? (honest question)
                It's been years since I've had any sound issue in Linux with Pulse, but then I don't have a very fancy set-up.

Comment

Flash is the sole reason I have to use PulseAudio. Flash is hardcoded to use the first sound card. Too bad on my Lenovo laptop the first output is HDMI, not the internal PCH.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                    The major features of PulseAudio 5.0 include BlueZ 5 support with the A2DP profile, provides a reimplementation of the tunnel modules, native log target support for the systemd-journal, various small changes, and many bug-fixes.
                    Mistakenly left word "provides", as well as a strange summary of "various small changes" and "many bug-fixes" providing two "major new features".

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
                    So I've either got to compile myself a 32 bit SDL stack without pulse present, install the entire i386 pulseaudio and deal with that to prevent it from starting, or just forget the old game.
                    Even in "beginner distros" like Ubuntu you can ignore the dependency hell in a fairly simple manner: https://serverfault.com/questions/25...e-dependencies

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Are you joking? With laptops it's not uncommon for people to use wireless mice, in general, and a keyboard when connected to external monitors. When traveling, you can use your phone as a modem though making it a hotspot makes more sense until bluez gets 3.0 HS support.
                      Personally I make use of bt headphones.
                      I don't use bluetooth on Linux because bluez command line is 5.0 and all the gui apps for bluez are still 4.0. Can't really use it if I need to pair and discover devices on command line.

Comment

Working...
                      X