PulseAudio 5.0 Supports BlueZ 5, Native Log Target For Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Flash is the sole reason I have to use PulseAudio. Flash is hardcoded to use the first sound card. Too bad on my Lenovo laptop the first output is HDMI, not the internal PCH.
    You can change the order, see alsa docs. IIRC module param index=foo.

Comment

VLC is not proprietary.
      VLC also has no problems with PA here.
      Hence "mostly". For the record, I've never had any issues with Flash on PulseAudio (although I don't use Pepper), or native games on PulseAudio (there were a few snags with Wine, although there were even more snags with Wine without using PulseAudio). There was one problem with Skype recently (but with a well-documented workaround). And I had issues with VLC, but then I switched to MPlayer2 and never went back, so I don't know if those issues are still there (and that is due to my sound card drivers being not very up to snuff).

Comment

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
        Is is still like that? Problems with audio on various Linux games was one reason I stopped using it on a regular basis. Though I'm still interested in how well these things work nowadays but I don't take time to test it out myself. So is it still like that you have to fiddle around to get such apps working with sound correctly? (honest question)
        exactly, and is not my soundcard, because I tried with a via vt, a realtek and soundblasters cards, but every card have problems, is so depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          You can change the order, see alsa docs. IIRC module param index=foo.
          If I wanted to fiddle with my PC, I'd use Windows!

Comment

If I wanted to fiddle with my PC, I'd use Windows!
            This is exactly why pulseaudio rocks. You can't even find proper documentation for setting up ALSA. My laptop also had issues and played sound via HDMI only when using standard ALSA. I couldn't figure out any way to fix it and read tons of forum posts. After installing Pulseaudio everything started to work, even volume sliders. Latency is not bad. At least less than 50-100 ms for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              exactly, and is not my soundcard, because I tried with a via vt, a realtek and soundblasters cards, but every card have problems, is so depressing.
              Probably 40% of users have Intel HDA nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Wired has the upside of being more stable, more universal, being cheaper, having slightly less latency, better quality, no background noise, no potential health issues due to wireless thing near your brain for hours.
                Wired has cables which cost money. People spend three to four figure numbers in cables in some communities. When it comes to remote wired audio, only analog scales. The other protocols are expensive and often lossy. Airplay has huge lag, Pulseaudio remote audio might not work.

802.11n has 1-5ms latency but easily supports 100 Mb/s while FLAC audio is 0.7 Mb/s. Quality is good. No background noise unlike in SPDIF which is lossy and can react to room light. You can decrease transmit power and it's already within safety region out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  This is exactly why pulseaudio rocks. You can't even find proper documentation for setting up ALSA. My laptop also had issues and played sound via HDMI only when using standard ALSA. I couldn't figure out any way to fix it and read tons of forum posts. After installing Pulseaudio everything started to work, even volume sliders. Latency is not bad. At least less than 50-100 ms for me.
                  For the record: I don't think that PA rocks. I just prefer it over config file hunting and editing (and anything offered by Windows which doesn't even output any sound on my laptop without manually downloading and installing the drivers *blarg* [same for WiFi, power management, etc.]).
                  If I had migrated directly from Windows to Linux, I might have endured enough pain to cope with shit like editing config files but I migrated from OSX.

Comment

Flash is the sole reason I have to use PulseAudio. Flash is hardcoded to use the first sound card. Too bad on my Lenovo laptop the first output is HDMI, not the internal PCH.
                    Hi,
                    could you tell me if pulseaudio 5.0 will help me:
                    I use PA to stream audio from my ubuntu x64 13.10 (PA 4.0) to raspberry Pi. It works, but very often PA has strange interaction with flash player (www.deezer.com / www.grooveshark.com)
                    let me explain:
                    I start playing musing on my desktop: sound is OK on local speakers
                    I switch audio output to the networksound card on RPi => player hangs and stops playing, no sound
                    If I switch back to the local sound card => the player go on and the sound is back
                    Any ideas?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by moreje View Post
                      Hi,
                      could you tell me if pulseaudio 5.0 will help me:
                      I use PA to stream audio from my ubuntu x64 13.10 (PA 4.0) to raspberry Pi. It works, but very often PA has strange interaction with flash player (www.deezer.com / www.grooveshark.com)
                      let me explain:
                      I start playing musing on my desktop: sound is OK on local speakers
                      I switch audio output to the networksound card on RPi => player hangs and stops playing, no sound
                      If I switch back to the local sound card => the player go on and the sound is back
                      Any ideas?
                      Thanks
                      It's a known issue. I have it too. Switching playback to remote sound card hangs. Both PA's own protocol and airplay.

Comment

Working...
                      X