Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H AMD A88X

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    59

    Arrow Fan question..

    Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    I havea F2A88X-D3H right now
    Oh thanks for all that information..
    I have one more question also.....Can you control the fan speed with your motherboard or not?..
    I have a gigabyte AM3+ motherboard right now, but the default gigabyte BIOS/UEFI/ACPI thing that controls the fan speed always seems to run the CPU fan way faster than it needs to be....so I usually use fancontrol (or maybe I could use thinkfan also?) to make linux control the fan..

    I am wanting to buy a gigabyte FM2+ motherboard and an APU soon, but I am wondering....am I going to be able to control the fan speed?.. I don't want to sit there all day with a loud fan noise going constantly..that will drive me crazy..

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    311

    Default

    I have a Kaveri APU and fan speed was not a problem until now. The only time I heard the fan was when I entered the UEFI setup and let it sit there for ~half an hour, this makes the APU heat up like crazy. During normal operation under Linux the only noises I hear from the case are caused by the HDD/optical unit. This might change during the summer when the ambient temperature will rise, but I don't think it's an option to let the APU fry just so it's silent. I'd rather switch it to a lower TDP.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baconmon View Post
    Oh thanks for all that information..
    I have one more question also.....Can you control the fan speed with your motherboard or not?..
    I have a gigabyte AM3+ motherboard right now, but the default gigabyte BIOS/UEFI/ACPI thing that controls the fan speed always seems to run the CPU fan way faster than it needs to be....so I usually use fancontrol (or maybe I could use thinkfan also?) to make linux control the fan..

    I am wanting to buy a gigabyte FM2+ motherboard and an APU soon, but I am wondering....am I going to be able to control the fan speed?.. I don't want to sit there all day with a loud fan noise going constantly..that will drive me crazy..
    No issues with that and thus never needed it. As i said , i had both the 85x and 88x board versions - one with A8-5500, the other with A8-6500. None gave me any fan speed related issues. It seems the fan speed regulation is done by the BIOS, has nothing to do with lm-sensors (the ITE monitoring chip supplies the info to the BIOS and while its nice to see its output, its not required for throttling). You can see this in the BIOS/UEFI, where you do get dynamic fan speed throttling.
    I have the computer on the table, case open (i often plug hdds for dd or various recovery/backup purposes) and the fans (one STOCK APU cooler and another case fan) around 40-50 cm from my face and barely hear it. If the CPU is under load, i can hear it spin up and down, in fact i can assess the load just by hearing it (the fan speed is perfectly in sync with the load/temp increase/decrease), but its not very loud in any case.
    BTW i use the STOCK fan - you will see why i capitalized it if you see an AMD APU stock fan (its probably the smallest fan in existence for regular desktop CPUs).
    Another thing is that both APUs i had are the 65w variants - and they dont seem to have any overheating issues (even with the above mentioned abysmally small stock cooler).
    But i dont know what happens with the unlocked 100w models, i heard that those tend to heat up more.

    @Ansla:

    In the BIOS/UEFI there is no mechanism to scale the CPU/GPU speed down dynamically, you have it running full speed constantly, its normal to heat up to a certain temperature (50, maybe 60c with crappy default coolers). But higher (more than 60, 70 etc) indicates that it has inadequate cooling.
    If you load all cores under the OS, it will heat up just the same while under load, only it will cool back down when it gets the chance. Additionally to the CPU, the OS will scale the integrated GPU speed too, lowering a few more degrees.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    I have a Kaveri APU and fan speed was not a problem until now. The only time I heard the fan was when I entered the UEFI setup and let it sit there for ~half an hour, this makes the APU heat up like crazy. During normal operation under Linux the only noises I hear from the case are caused by the HDD/optical unit. This might change during the summer when the ambient temperature will rise, but I don't think it's an option to let the APU fry just so it's silent. I'd rather switch it to a lower TDP.
    Or just switch to a better after market cooler and low noise fans.

    You can even go fanless with the A10-7950K if you have a nice airy case using this beast http://www.quietpc.com/nof-cr-100a
    W/ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151122

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default lm-sensors

    Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    I havea F2A88X-D3H right now - thats the full atx version and it has an IT8620 monitoring chip that is unsupported under Linux. Now if the XM uses the same chip, its a problem since the lm-sensors guys stated that ITE stopped sharing diagrams with them and thus new ITE chips ( are unlikely to be supported. I sent a mail to the kernel developer in charge of the it87 module and he said he didnt even hear about this chip model.
    Previously i had a F2A85X-D3H mobo that has a supported ITE 87xx monitoring chip and i supposed this one will use that too but it seems i was mistaken....

    But anyway, the mobo works fine, i have it for a few months now and had no issues with it (i have a A8-6500 APU with it). Thermal monitoring is still possible for both the CPU and IGP, but the reportred values from the k10temp (CPU) and radeon (GPU) drivers are not real ones especially when idle - instead they are used internally for thermal throttling and they approach real values when the chip is under load for some time (for example i have 3-5C reported when idle).
    I also have a F2A88X-D3H MB and I've found that lm-sensors can be made to work if you force the it87 driver to load:

    modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728

    i.e. make it think it's the IT8728 chip instead of the IT8620. This gives a range of sensors with sensible looking values for temperatures, fan speeds and so on. This was on CentOS 6.5 (kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1) with the elrepo kmod-it87 driver.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglican View Post
    I also have a F2A88X-D3H MB and I've found that lm-sensors can be made to work if you force the it87 driver to load:

    modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728

    i.e. make it think it's the IT8728 chip instead of the IT8620. This gives a range of sensors with sensible looking values for temperatures, fan speeds and so on. This was on CentOS 6.5 (kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1) with the elrepo kmod-it87 driver.
    Wow. That actually works!!

    Code:
    ~# modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728
    root@laca-desktop:~# sensors
    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:         +3.8C  (high = +70.0C)
                           (crit = +80.0C, hyst = +79.0C)
    
    radeon-pci-0008
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:         +3.0C  (crit = +120.0C, hyst = +90.0C)
    
    it8728-isa-0228
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    in0:          +0.78 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in1:          +1.63 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in2:          +2.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in3:          +2.04 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in4:          +2.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in5:          +2.22 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    in6:          +2.22 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +3.06 V)
    3VSB:         +3.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +6.12 V)
    Vbat:         +3.10 V  
    fan1:        1588 RPM  (min =   10 RPM)
    fan2:         910 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
    fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
    fan4:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
    fan5:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
    temp1:        +30.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +127.0C)  sensor = thermistor
    temp2:         -8.0C  (low  = +127.0C, high = +127.0C)  sensor = thermistor
    temp3:        +16.0C  (low  =  +0.0C, high = +70.0C)  sensor = Intel PECI
    intrusion0:  ALARM
    Nice one.

  7. #27

    Default

    BTW the output looks exactly like that from the 85X board that has a supported IT87 chip so it really works.
    I have a self-compiled kernel from git, i use Debian Testing 64 bit.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    793

    Default

    A little addition to the thread:

    The GA-E2100N (soldered Kabini) board also features the ITE IT8620 Super IO chip.
    I couldn't read the chip info from any pix on the net (photos were just too small / bokeh blur) so I asked Gigabyte and they told me. Cause I wanted to buy one but I tend to make sure things work with the Penguin beforehand.

    lm_sensors says there is currently no datasheet but the chip might be somewhat compatible to some other ITE but be careful and so on.
    ( http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices )

    Gnah! That board would have been really nice for a CarPC. And with SuperIO supported one could have started thinking about coreboot.
    All other chips are normally Realtek and AMD and thus tend to work.

    Also the hp635 Laptop (E350 matte screen, all Atheros, Realtek, AMD) uses an ITE IT8518 which is also unsupported.

    I know Biostar is also somewhat Linux-ignorant but I ordered an AM1 (AM1MHP) and the ITE IT8728F is considered to be working. I'll see when the board arrives. Chances are that their soldered-Kabini (A68N-2100) also uses the same chip.

    The Asus A88XPlus (A88X chipset but also 3 classic PCIs and lots of other interfaces) looks totally beautiful for a Kaveri setup but this Fintek F71811 still seems unsupported.


    Maybe I, as an end-user, should write an email to ITE and Fintek?

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    A little addition to the thread:

    The GA-E2100N (soldered Kabini) board also features the ITE IT8620 Super IO chip.
    I couldn't read the chip info from any pix on the net (photos were just too small / bokeh blur) so I asked Gigabyte and they told me. Cause I wanted to buy one but I tend to make sure things work with the Penguin beforehand.

    lm_sensors says there is currently no datasheet but the chip might be somewhat compatible to some other ITE but be careful and so on.
    ( http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices )

    Gnah! That board would have been really nice for a CarPC. And with SuperIO supported one could have started thinking about coreboot.
    All other chips are normally Realtek and AMD and thus tend to work.

    Also the hp635 Laptop (E350 matte screen, all Atheros, Realtek, AMD) uses an ITE IT8518 which is also unsupported.

    I know Biostar is also somewhat Linux-ignorant but I ordered an AM1 (AM1MHP) and the ITE IT8728F is considered to be working. I'll see when the board arrives. Chances are that their soldered-Kabini (A68N-2100) also uses the same chip.

    The Asus A88XPlus (A88X chipset but also 3 classic PCIs and lots of other interfaces) looks totally beautiful for a Kaveri setup but this Fintek F71811 still seems unsupported.


    Maybe I, as an end-user, should write an email to ITE and Fintek?
    Did you tried
    Code:
    sudo modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728
    then
    Code:
    sensors
    ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •