February 2014 Steam Hardware Survey Shows Linux At 1.3%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fry-kun View Post
    Interestingly, the same people who are more likely to opt out are more likely to use Linux.
    Another possible reason for linux under-estimation could be non-DRMed games on Steam. I have a bunch of those purchased through Humble Bundle -- and most of the time I want to play them, I don't bother starting up Steam.
    If you bought the games through non-Steam, and aren't running steam when you play them, then I'm pretty sure they don't want to count you in the first place. The point is for them to see how many people are using steam and what kind of hardware they should focus on, not to count everybody in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      If you bought the games through non-Steam, and aren't running steam when you play them, then I'm pretty sure they don't want to count you in the first place. The point is for them to see how many people are using steam and what kind of hardware they should focus on, not to count everybody in the world.
      And, by the way, that's not a reason to believe linux is being underestimated. There are plenty more alternative ways to get games on windows than on linux. Maybe they're playing old DOS games. Maybe they just get stuff through Origin. Maybe they bought games through Humble Bundle's just like you did. They may not be starting steam or getting counted either, and again that is by design.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        no linux preinstalled no uptake.
        I'd say the lack of AAA titles are still the primary reason.

Comment

It amazes me how many of the people use 64 bit computers and operating systems, but all of the games are 32-bit. I wonder when they are going to start phasing out 32-bit computing for home use? Enterprise might make sense to keep it longer for special software, but not home use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

If you own an older AMD graphics card, then you're stuck with open source. If you're new to Linux and have AMD hardware, you're going to switch back to Windows and forgot this mess.
            If you have an older card, you're completely out of luck on Windows. There is no support for pre-5000hd series cards in catalyst. On linux, the open-source drivers even though have only OGL 3.3 support are a great alternative, definitely better than nothing on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              If you have an older card, you're completely out of luck on Windows. There is no support for pre-5000hd series cards in catalyst.
              That's not really true. While new drivers don't have support, they do have a legacy driver on windows that supports all their old cards, and it will install on at least windows 7. I haven't checked windows 8. That's not any different than the way nvidia handles their cards on both windows and linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                It amazes me how many of the people use 64 bit computers and operating systems, but all of the games are 32-bit. I wonder when they are going to start phasing out 32-bit computing for home use? Enterprise might make sense to keep it longer for special software, but not home use.
                I think MS wanted to do that with Win8, but backed off later.
                And not all games are 32-bit. Even Unreal Tournament 2004 has a 64-bit client.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  it amazes me why people still install 32bit linux on machines capable of 64bit. 64bit is faster for many things (compiler can assume SSE and has more registers to play with), more secure (NX bit, better ASLR) and better tested (most developers are using 64bit). The major distros will install 32bit versions of libraries when you need them. Is there really any thing left now that is harder to get working on 64bit?

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
                    it amazes me why people still install 32bit linux on machines capable of 64bit. 64bit is faster for many things (compiler can assume SSE and has more registers to play with), more secure (NX bit, better ASLR) and better tested (most developers are using 64bit). The major distros will install 32bit versions of libraries when you need them. Is there really any thing left now that is harder to get working on 64bit?
                    I had a problem with Logitech Media Server on Arch 64bit that didn't happen on 32bit. The program simply didn't work on my 64bit install. It may have been solveable, but my knowledge wasn't sufficient at the time, and just installing the 32bit OS was the path of least resistance. Especially given it was a server box that has a limited amount of functions.

I totally agree that everything should be 64bit these days, but I'm just giving my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      WINE is the limiting factor.
                      I have to wonder why Valve doesn't contribute to WINE? There must be a good reason.
                      WINE is a terrible solution.

The PC game industry has been extremely Microsoft centric and games are generally programmed with Microsoft owned and controlled tools/apis.

This is obviously intentional on Microsoft's part to enhance lock-in and make it as hard as possible to port or run games on other platforms or devices.

WINE and emulator-type solutions are distant second-class patches.

Ideally, games would be programmed with vendor-agnostic OS-agnostic tools/apis. Devs could trivially make versions for any supported platform.

The concept is completely sound, but the involved parties are generally very small and huge progress has happened, but at a slow pace. Tools like SDL have fairly recently matured and made cross platform game programming in C quite a reality. Valve has done some small technology improvements, but their main contribution is credibility and publicity far more than actual software or technology.

The other big issue is the rise of iOS/Android. Those two are very PC-like platforms that have arguably taken over casual and consumer computer usage. Win/Mac/Linux are still extremely important for business, productivity, servers, and content creation. But it makes sense to move gaming away from Win/Linux/Mac and towards iOS/Android which are more consumer and casual use friendly. We will see more netbook form factor Android and maybe iOS devices in 2014, so even mouse/keyboard gaming should be more realistic on Android/iOS.

Most people love PC gaming for the customizable hardware or reusing the system they already bought for work/school or the open decentralized nature. Android has all of that, and iOS have most. No one, or almost no one, loves PC gaming for the Windows OS piece.

Comment

Working...
                      X