No announcement yet.

Likely Radeon Gallium3D Regression On Linux 3.14 + Mesa 10.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah i see thank you guys for your reply. Sorry i know i am noob lol but where do i put R600_DEBUG=hyperz in?

Do i just paste it in terminal?

Thank you guys

Comment

Originally posted by jonty789 View Post
      Ah i see thank you guys for your reply. Sorry i know i am noob lol but where do i put R600_DEBUG=hyperz in?

Do i just paste it in terminal?

Thank you guys
      either boot with it (for example with /etc/env.d/) or write it in front of the application (terminal: R600_DEBUG=hyperz glxgears). The second one you can even do on a per-game basis on steam, just modify the games startup options to something like R600_DEBUG=sb,nollvm,hyperz %command%

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
        Looks like you talking about AMD Cataclysm.
        I haven't used blobs in years. Maybe I'm following upstream git more closely than you, or what you get through the PPA (whatever that is ) are vaguely tested snapshots instead of the steaming hot deal from trunk, maybe you were really simply lucky thus far.

Stable version that included in popular distributions usually missing important functionality. As long as I remember Geometry shaders for R600 won't be merged into 14.04 so what regular user should do, wait for 14.10? Or install Catalyst?
        I can not really give advice on binary distributions. I am sure there are PPAs (or whatever overlays/repositories are called on the various distros) with patched stable versions or at least snapshots, so you don't have to deal with the daily fallout that a git repository can bring.
        Last edited by genstorm; 02 March 2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Michael, this is not completely from HyperZ and so still worth investigating. We have reports from Luke and dungeon on this forum that confirm there's another regression besides the intended hyperz change.

Luke specifically tested it, dungeon's case is media apps that do not use the Z buffer.

Comment

Unfortunately AMD open source drivers isn't mature yet, so old "stable" drivers are usually more bugged than newer versions from git. If you want to run actual games that released on Steam with playable framerate have to use recent drivers stack.
            Not anymore. Well, in any case it depends on your hardware. But right now, all my AMD systems (each being older than 1yr) run perfect with stable upstream versions, that is kernel 3.13, mesa-10.0.3, x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0, xf86-video-ati-7.3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
              I haven't used blobs in years. Maybe I'm following upstream git more closely than you, or what you get through the PPA (whatever that is ) are vaguely tested snapshots instead of the steaming hot deal from trunk, maybe you were really simply lucky thus far.
              I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, for users that don't know how to deal with a console this may not be the best, but I too haven't head any problems with most recent mesa git in years and I build it on a regular basis (every 2-5 days). The only problems I got were build problems or performance regressions (so nothing that actually stopped working). But if it does not build in the first place you don't install it Usually there is a full piglit run before major changes get in, so there's a high chance that it will not break everything.

Comment

"Beg to differ" as much as you want.

That's when you write an article about it.
                Personally speaking, I'm not arrogant enough to presume to try and tell someone what they can and can't write articles about on their own website. But the bottom line is that Michael chooses to assist with the development of the Open Source drivers, unlike many others who just sit back and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                  I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, for users that don't know how to deal with a console this may not be the best, but I too haven't head any problems with most recent mesa git in years and I build it on a regular basis (every 2-5 days). The only problems I got were build problems or performance regressions (so nothing that actually stopped working). But if it does not build in the first place you don't install it Usually there is a full piglit run before major changes get in, so there's a high chance that it will not break everything.
                  Hardware is a difficult beast; Regressions/problems may only happen (or become visible) on certain chips, or even revisions. That's why UVD works on most, but not on two systems of mine; that's why enabling DPM broke 1/3 of my AMD boxen in 3.12.0. In general, I have to agree that mesa git is doing fine most of the time, but you can never be sure. Anyway, everyone is free to use it; I just want to make sure it is not too widely advertised to regular users as they do not have the ability to cope with errors that might happen in their myriad of systems. It certainly isn't the go-to solution for newbie support threads.

Comment

Yes, kernel is different. I'm more reserved in this regard. I usually track the drm-fixes (~airlied) branch which most of the time means that it at least somehow works. Yet I make sure to have at least one additional kernel installed that I can boot into if the drm-fixes branch breaks for me.

Comment

When they matter, e.g. in final versions, yes. Have YOU ever used software based on live sources? Regressions may happen on any commit, might be fixed in one of the following commits. In that case, where HyperZ has been disabled, you will get a fine Changelog entry with the final announcement, and all of those costly benchmarking and wondering 'what the heck degraded here' moments have been a waste of time. Time that is so badly missing to improve the poor average quality of other articles.

You can keep your insults to yourself.
                      "live sources" you mean git releases? basically every day

many people that read phoronix probably do the same w.r.t mesa

Comment

Working...
                      X