Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris 2008.05 Released!

Phoronix: OpenSolaris 2008.05 Released!

Taking place at CommunityOne 2008 (as part of Sun's JavaOne conference), Sun has released the much-anticipated OpenSolaris 2008.05 "Project Indiana" operating system. This open-source Solaris OS can be downloaded from OpenSolaris.com (not to be confused with the .org that is for the development community)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This will be the first version that I actually install on my hard drive, have tried the 2008.05 RC2 in VirtualBox only a few days ago and was impressed by the state of this fine distribution for the first stable release. What I don't like are the package namens & version numbers, they are some kind of weird, but still can't wait to try it out in a few minutes

#edit: If anyone's interested in my experience, have a look at

Last edited by d2kx; 05 May 2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Wow!

I downloaded the .ISO for the liveCD, burned the disc and then enjoyed....nothing. Lots of PCI-related errors followed by a completely empty what I assume to be desktop and different color stripes at the top and bottom which I think should have been panels. All in lovely shades of gray.

This took about 30 minutes. After waiting a couple of hours to see if something else would happen (actually, I took the Border Collies out for some work) I rebooted and went back to Ubuntu 8.04.

Not particularly unusual hardware. The PC is a Gigabyte GA-DS3R with a E6600 Conroe and 4Gb of RAM. The video is a Gigabyte HD3870.

I suspect either OS didn't like the fact the BIOS is set to use SATA as AHCI or it has trouble with the jMicron 363b to which the SATA optical drive is attached, although it is set to run SATA as IDE.

I'll file a bug report if I can find the right site
      Last edited by rbmorse; 05 May 2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        #edit: If anyone's interested in my experience, have a look at

http://forums.opensolaris.com/thread...D=187&tstart=0
        Oh wow, I'm glad you posted that. We must have a very similar motherboard, if not the same since mine has the same (or close to it) Yukon ethernet and Audigy onboard sound. I was planning on installing it tonight, but I think I'll try installing it on one of my slightly older P4 boxes instead. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Working...
        X