Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by interested View Post
    Here is part of the quote you left out (my emphasis):

"Yeah, I see a few things coming down the line that may cause a shakeup to our usual way of doing things, and could force Slackware to become, well, perhaps less UNIX-like. I guess the two big ones that are on the horizon are Wayland and systemd. Whether we end up using them or not remains to be seen. It's quite possible that we won't end up having a choice in the matter depending on how development that's out of our hands goes. It's hard to say whether moving to these technologies would be a good thing for Slackware overall. "
    Patrick Volkerding, the founder of Slackware Linux, agreed to an interview with LQ. Here is what he had to say. Some question were contributed by

Slackware will move in the same direction as every other Linux distro: Sysvinit and X are on minimum life support right now, with systemd and Wayland being the future of Linux. Patrick is perhaps sceptical, but Slackware is such a small distro that it won't have the manpower to even maintain status quo. There simply doesn't seem to be any developer impetus to maintain a full featured Sysvinit Linux distro. Maybe some Debian Sysvinit derivative will be made, but it will mostly be a server version, since DE support for non-systemd systems have been bit-rotting for years now.
    here's another part

"To the typical end user, if this results in a faster boot then mission accomplished. With udev being phased out in favor of systemd performing those tasks we'll have to make the decision at some point between whether we want to try to maintain udev ourselves, have systemd replace just udev's functions, or if we want the whole kit and caboodle. Wayland, by comparison, seems fairly innocuous, assuming that they'll be able to implement network transparency either directly or through some kind of add-on compatibility layer. Again, another thing that most desktop users don't have a lot of use for but many users can't do without. I like X11, and would probably stick with it if moving to Wayland meant losing that feature, even if Wayland's rendering method carried with it some benefits like reduced rendering artifacts or increased video performance. I guess we'll just have to see what the overall benefit is when it's far enough along to make such comparisons."

so udev
    at the time of the interview (06.07.2012) there were not as many alternatives to upstream udev

later logind might be problematic, but there will probably be a good enough alternative (also systemd will release a stable API version, maybe)

slackware is not small and is kept quite up to date (newest alsa, gcc, firefox etc and last stable kernel, xorg etc.)
    i suggest doing some research before assuming
    more then that i suggest not putting things into other peoples mouths

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Wayland is against Unix too now?
      no, on the contrary
      it does one thing and does it well

also interview was two years ago, wayland was fairly new then

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
        here's another part

"To the typical end user, if this results in a faster boot then mission accomplished. With udev being phased out in favor of systemd performing those tasks we'll have to make the decision at some point between whether we want to try to maintain udev ourselves, have systemd replace just udev's functions, or if we want the whole kit and caboodle. Wayland, by comparison, seems fairly innocuous, assuming that they'll be able to implement network transparency either directly or through some kind of add-on compatibility layer. Again, another thing that most desktop users don't have a lot of use for but many users can't do without. I like X11, and would probably stick with it if moving to Wayland meant losing that feature, even if Wayland's rendering method carried with it some benefits like reduced rendering artifacts or increased video performance. I guess we'll just have to see what the overall benefit is when it's far enough along to make such comparisons."

so udev
        at the time of the interview (06.07.2012) there were not as many alternatives to upstream udev

later logind might be problematic, but there will probably be a good enough alternative (also systemd will release a stable API version, maybe)

slackware is not small and is kept quite up to date (newest alsa, gcc, firefox etc and last stable kernel, xorg etc.)
        i suggest doing some research before assuming
        more then that i suggest not putting things into other peoples mouths
        Slackware _is_ a small distro and I am not just talking user base and number of packages, but also in terms of developers. Nothing wrong in that, just a fact. It has been a niche distro for more than a decade (and yes, I have installed Slackware from floppies before that).

Regarding the fork of "udev" and "logind" then it is highly symptomatic for the lack of non-systemd development, that the only vaguely viable alternatives to systemd, are in fact forked systemd code made by Lennart Poettering and other systemd developers.

The "logind" fork is just a temporary band aid; it will stand still while upstream DE's start to develop features that aren't compatible with the old forked 204 version of systemd.
        Then there is cgroups and kdbus etc. together with Wayland. It will become harder and harder not to support systemd on any full featured Linux distro. It isn't impossible, but there just doesn't seem to be that much developer interest in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
          Slackware _is_ a small distro and I am not just talking user base and number of packages, but also in terms of developers. Nothing wrong in that, just a fact. It has been a niche distro for more than a decade (and yes, I have installed Slackware from floppies before that).

Regarding the fork of "udev" and "logind" then it is highly symptomatic for the lack of non-systemd development, that the only vaguely viable alternatives to systemd, are in fact forked systemd code made by Lennart Poettering and other systemd developers.

The "logind" fork is just a temporary band aid; it will stand still while upstream DE's start to develop features that aren't compatible with the old forked 204 version of systemd.
          Then there is cgroups and kdbus etc. together with Wayland. It will become harder and harder not to support systemd on any full featured Linux distro. It isn't impossible, but there just doesn't seem to be that much developer interest in doing so.
          so from your point of view there are only 3 big distros (ubuntu, debian, fedora and what comes of it)
          since slackware is bigger then all the others (over 6%)

fork of udev shows that people think making a key part of linux tied into a specific boot system is dumb
          and udev is a key part
          and there was nothing wrong with it
          Kay Sievers took maintainership of udev
          Linus himself said it went to shit then
          and no, nothing is changed in udev itself, it is there for systemd's benefit only

and yes, desktop people have a loooong history of not cooperating
          that is their problem
          i think it is 'cuz they all artistic and want to do their thing

it does not mean we should all praise GNOME for being dependent on systemd
          funny enough the official reasoning is multiseat support, that you can't do without a network in systemd

cgroups are, as i become bored of repeating on phoronix, simple and easy
          and in my opinion not that useful on the desktop, but that is my opinion

point is it can all be done with simple daemons
          and yet systemd is being forced for no clear reason
          Last edited by gens; 01 March 2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

so from your point of view there are only 3 big distros (ubuntu, debian, fedora and what comes of it)
            since slackware is bigger then all the others (over 6%)
            Source? That's most definetly not true. Try openSUSE/SLE, RHEL/CentOS or Gentoo.

fork of udev shows that people think making a key part of linux tied into a specific boot system is dumb
            No it doesn't. It only means that some people think so and the fact that no one, not even Gentoo has adopted eudev should tell you something about the importance of the project.

Kay Sievers took maintainership of udev
            Linus himself said it went to shit then
            and no, nothing is changed in udev itself, it is there for systemd's benefit only
            Seriously what are you talking about? Greg K-H transfered the maintainership of udev to Kay Sievers in 2005

Kay has been instrumental in getting udev as
            feature complete and stable and actually working well. Without his
            help, it wouldn't be the program it is today. He also was the one who
            implemented the persistant naming policy for disks, which is now in all
            of the major Linux distributions (and a few minor ones.)

I'll still be around and doing minor work on udev, but Kay is the one
            who is now in charge, and I know it is in good hands.
            Also from the systemd/udev merge announcement:

Originally posted by Kay Sievers
            We are about to merge the udev sources into the systemd source tree. After that, the next version of systemd will continue with udev?s version numbering, i.e. jump immediately from 45 to 184.
            Originally posted by Greg KH
            Great job on this, it makes a lot of sense.
            So the creator, original maintainer, second most active udev developer and the current maintainer and the most active developer, responsible for virtually all udev developement, both agreed that merging was the right choise. It has allowed a lot of code sharing between systemd which then again makes the maintanance of udev easier.

funny enough the official reasoning is multiseat support, that you can't do without a network in systemd
            What....

No one is forcing you to use systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
              And that is a good thing!
              Slackware does well because it does not always get involved in petty politics. I have cut my Linux teeth on Slackware and gravitated towards Debian because how conservative it is as well as its robust package system.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                Source? That's most definetly not true. Try openSUSE/SLE, RHEL/CentOS or Gentoo.

No it doesn't. It only means that some people think so and the fact that no one, not even Gentoo has adopted eudev should tell you something about the importance of the project.

Seriously what are you talking about? Greg K-H transfered the maintainership of udev to Kay Sievers in 2005

Also from the systemd/udev merge announcement:

So the creator, original maintainer, second most active udev developer and the current maintainer and the most active developer, responsible for virtually all udev developement, both agreed that merging was the right choise. It has allowed a lot of code sharing between systemd which then again makes the maintanance of udev easier.

What....

No one is forcing you to use systemd.
                linuxcounter.net, currently down so no direct link

troll

troll

out of context or link troll

same as above

it is forced, troll

Comment

cgroups are, as i become bored of repeating on phoronix, simple and easy
                  You have to keep repeating it because it's just words with nothing to back them up. Where's your cgroup manager? And with which service system is it integrated, to provide the seamless service control that systemd does?

See, cgroups have been around for some time. But until systemd, they weren't mainstream. Those who wanted to use them came up with their own homegrown solution that probably only works for their specific use-case.

point is it can all be done with simple daemons
                  Again, where are they then? Why has no one but the systemd devs provided a solution for the things DE devs want?

There is a very clear reason - you haven't given us alternatives! Why you? Because you're the one with the big words on how simple everything is.

troll

troll

out of context or link troll

same as above

it is forced, troll
                  So this is your MO now? When you get confronted with facts that contradict you, you yell "troll"?
                  Last edited by Gusar; 01 March 2014, 09:21 PM.

Comment

linuxcounter.net, currently down so no direct link
                    You do understand that it's not a realible metric, right?

It was started as a "for fun" project to find out how many Linux users there are worldwide. The basic idea is for people to register themselves as being a Linux user. Of course, this way you won't get all Linux users counted as not every Linux user will register himself at the Linux Counter site. Thus, the only way to "know" the number of Linux users worldwide, is to make a guess, preferably a not-too-wild guess of the number of Linux users. Not making wild guesses there is only one way to go: statistics. And so, there we are.
                    quoteout of context or link troll
                    It's not. Here's the source on the later one.

it is forced, troll
                    Yeah... how about you explain how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      You have to keep repeating it because it's just words with nothing to back them up. Where's your cgroup manager? And with which service system is it integrated, to provide the seamless service control that systemd does?

See, cgroups have been around for some time. But until systemd, they weren't mainstream. Those who wanted to use them came up with their own homegrown solution that probably only works for their specific use-case.

Again, where are they then? Why has no one but the systemd devs provided a solution for the things DE devs want?

There is a very clear reason - you haven't given us alternatives! Why you? Because you're the one with the big words on how simple everything is.

So this is your MO now? When you get confronted with facts that contradict you, you yell "troll"?
                      quoting things in separations kills context, thus killing the meaning of the things quoted

if you read this whole conversation that i was not having with you
                      you would see that it started by one person misinterpreting what a well respected BDFL of a well respected distribution stated a long time ago
                      it was not for troll bait, and yet there were trolls

there are many opinions
                      you can have your own one
                      if you plan on sharing it with others, good
                      don't share it with me unless you want to hear mine
                      simple as that

only thing systemd brings to the desktop is logind that does some basics

if i personally wanted cgroups on my desktop, i would put things into cgroups using the shell and the cgroups filesystem
                      if it were up to systemd way http://www.linux.com/news/featured-b...roups-redesign
                      i would not be able to do it so simply since the filesystem would be removed
                      i would have to write a C program to do something that usually takes about 20 sec to do
                      also with the filesystem being there it can be easily done for background services in scripts, be they shell, python, java, ruby, whatever

but "raw nobs to userspace"... filesystems have permissions you know
                      and if a hacker gets root privileges you are done anyway, no matter how you complicate things

just try it out, you might find cgroups fun
                      think about the usefulness in some special circumstances
                      Last edited by gens; 01 March 2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X