Enlightenment's Evas Gains A DRM Display Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@devilhorns

How long will it take until we get WL only E? Approximately.

This is supposed to be a feature needed for E19 release AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
      No, this is for Tizen.
      nope - not for tizen only. for general support of kernel kms/drm display. tizen is one target of course.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        hi.

I'm curious about the fb support in enlightenment, so I can prepare my build scripts, and launch scripts... Is that something that is working now, or unsupported, or in progress? It hangs when aI tested it....
        fb support is already there in efl - has been for a long time, but its fbcon - which means no hw accel, all updates are copies by the cpu from a backing render buffer to the destination fb, no vsync etc. - this is why terminology already works in the fb (as does any properly written efl app - as long as it uses one window only). you even get a mouse working in the fb because it's handled inside the toolkit and canvas. the drm support now allows for vsync zero-copy swaps and is the basis for actual acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Chromebooks? I don't think there's any guarantee a Tizen desktop wouldn't be locked down similar to those, and they are already quite mainstream.
          I meant real laptops... with real operating systems that can run local applications and perform actual productivity tasks. Not cloudtoys designed to convert users into resources for google's datamining operations...

Comment

Excuse my inexperience, but does that mean I can have accelerated EFL apps running from the console after all this is done? E.g. without the need for X/Wayland at all? When a window manager is not a requirement etc.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
              Ahhh I see what you meant now. Yea, the E_WL_FORCE=fb ... mileage will vary with that as it's not something that has been tested too much. It loads the E composite fb engine ... which (to be honest) is not entirely setup for wayland rendering. It's more for E on FB.... Input support there Could potentially be shakey...Can't really say for sure tho because I've not played with That too much... YMMV
              I think I found out the issue with the mouse input. It doesn't see touchpad devices, but it does see mice. I was trying the touchpad on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                Excuse my inexperience, but does that mean I can have accelerated EFL apps running from the console after all this is done? E.g. without the need for X/Wayland at all? When a window manager is not a requirement etc.
                correct. this allows an app to run with kms/drm etc. support. the same support we use to make e be a direct-to-kms/drm compositor, so it's all the same core. you can use it to build a wayland compositor of your own if you want or even an alternative display system too. though there is likely not a lot of value in duplicating/fighting with wayland as anything it doesn't have, you can extend.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                  I think I found out the issue with the mouse input. It doesn't see touchpad devices, but it does see mice. I was trying the touchpad on my laptop.
                  ecore_fb suppots ps/2 input devices in the core. there is support for tslib for touch panels but nothing sepcifically for touchpads if they don't have ps/2 emulation. simply no one has written any support at this stage,

Comment

And now it runs native on WL. Even though its "experimental"

Full Wayland support, based on DRM, has landed from Chris “devilhorns” Michael’s private store of E features. He has helpfully added a README.wayland file which provides suitable …

Article by Michael imminent.

Comment

Working...
                    X