Enlightenment's Evas Gains A DRM Display Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    ... it seems like Enlightenment consistently has the best/fastest updates...
    The irony of that just kills me.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
      Coming from the person (me) who Actually wrote this code.....

This is NOT just for Tizen !! This is for Desktop Linux also

This is just an initial step in getting Enlightenment to work Wayland-Only. A drm engine allows us to render Evas canvas' without X11 (you can test this with Expedite, just build EFL & Expedite using --enable-drm), then switch to a different VT and run: expedite -e drm (and any other options you want).

While I do appreciate the Press, once again Phoronix is not accurate

The commits today were just for a Software Rendered Drm engine.

The hardware acceleration support mentioned in the article is just preliminary code. There is no actual hardware rendering in any of the commits today. That will come soon (already have code for it, needs tweaking/fixing/merging). The hardware plane support mentioned is just initial code to allow plane detection and formats of those planes. When the hardware accelerated part of this gets flushed out, Then planes will be usable.

At any rate, this is an initial step in getting Wayland-Only Enlightenment working. With this, I Could now (in theory) run E without X11...but that requires just a bit more code to do (ecore_evas drm support, etc which is coming soon)

Hope this clears up some confusion. Any problems, questions, etc, etc please feel free to get in touch
      hi.

I'm curious about the fb support in enlightenment, so I can prepare my build scripts, and launch scripts... Is that something that is working now, or unsupported, or in progress? It hangs when aI tested it....

Comment

Originally posted by saulo View Post
        Tizen is confuse.. Samsung is investing in EFL while Intel in investing in GTK... I have already see and Tizen with Gnome3 stuff
        This is NOT just for Tizen !! This is for Desktop Linux also
        Tizen is not just for mobile, Tizen is actually three things...

Tizen mobile
        Tizen IVI
        Tizen desktop (this is the one that uses GNOME, the others don't)

Personally I'm really hoping that we see some laptops with Tizen desktop preinstalled soon. Linux would really break through to mainstream then. And Intel/Samsung/their other partners certainly have the resources to make this happen better than Canonical etc. could ever dream of.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Personally I'm really hoping that we see some laptops with Tizen desktop preinstalled soon. Linux would really break through to mainstream then. And Intel/Samsung/their other partners certainly have the resources to make this happen better than Canonical etc. could ever dream of.
          Chromebooks? I don't think there's any guarantee a Tizen desktop wouldn't be locked down similar to those, and they are already quite mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            hi.

I'm curious about the fb support in enlightenment, so I can prepare my build scripts, and launch scripts... Is that something that is working now, or unsupported, or in progress? It hangs when aI tested it....
            Framebuffer (such as /dev/fb) is covered by a different Evas engine. There is an actual fb engine to use for that. My commits were for DRM/KMS. Basically similar (in what they do), but this uses /dev/drm/card[0-9]...

The existing Evas FB engine Does work and you can run pretty much Any EFL app with it (including Terminology) ... but there are some rough edges there...Performance is decent tho

Check EFL autofoo for --enable-fb

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Chromebooks? I don't think there's any guarantee a Tizen desktop wouldn't be locked down similar to those, and they are already quite mainstream.
              Qt5 can already be used in ChromeOS with Google Native Client... so maybe Samsung can deploy Tizen/EFL apps with their Chromebooks with Google Native Client.

Comment

Tizen is not just for mobile, Tizen is actually three things...

Tizen mobile
                Tizen IVI

That is true. Tizen can run on a lot of devices & hardware sure. I did not mean to say it was Only mobile or Only Desktop I simply meant that the code I pushed was Only tested on Desktop. Using standard /dev/drm stuff it Should work on any hardware which supports that

Comment

Framebuffer (such as /dev/fb) is covered by a different Evas engine. There is an actual fb engine to use for that. My commits were for DRM/KMS. Basically similar (in what they do), but this uses /dev/drm/card[0-9]...

The existing Evas FB engine Does work and you can run pretty much Any EFL app with it (including Terminology) ... but there are some rough edges there...Performance is decent tho

Check EFL autofoo for --enable-fb

I meant enlightenment_start with E_WL_FORCE=fb... but I also tried running a normal efl app under fb to test it out. It displays, but it seems there is no mouse input even when run as root

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    I meant enlightenment_start with E_WL_FORCE=fb... but I also tried running a normal efl app under fb to test it out. It displays, but it seems there is no mouse input even when run as root
                    Ahhh I see what you meant now. Yea, the E_WL_FORCE=fb ... mileage will vary with that as it's not something that has been tested too much. It loads the E composite fb engine ... which (to be honest) is not entirely setup for wayland rendering. It's more for E on FB.... Input support there Could potentially be shakey...Can't really say for sure tho because I've not played with That too much... YMMV

Comment

That would be totaly stupid. To use gnome i mean. They already have a really good DE that with some love in some areas can be totally kick ass.

Comment

Working...
                      X