Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Still To Be A "Tech Preview" In GNOME 3.12

Phoronix: Wayland Still To Be A "Tech Preview" In GNOME 3.12

While a lot of headway has been made during the GNOME 3.10 and 3.12 development cycles for allowing the GNOME Shell and rest of the desktop run natively on Wayland without a hard dependency on X11, it was decided that enabling the Wayland support by default will not happen now until at least GNOME 3.14. GNOME 3.12 will still work as a very reasonable Wayland tech preview, but there's some unfinished tasks to be addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A couple of those "to-do"s are connected to input stuff right? Couldn't Gnome contribute to (and then use) libinput?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      A couple of those "to-do"s are connected to input stuff right? Couldn't Gnome contribute to (and then use) libinput?
      You mean like it says right in the article?

Originally posted by The article
      Still being tackled for the 3.12 release target is support for launching Wayland sessions from GDM, using libinput for input handling, key bindings support, and Clutter apps support.
      Last edited by kigurai; 28 February 2014, 11:19 AM. Reason: No need to be so combatative

Comment

I was very much looking forward to the "complete port of GNOME to Wayland" they planned for 3.12. I get the feeling it's going to take another year before there is even one fully usable desktop on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
          You mean like it says right in the article?
          Oh, my eyes must have skipped right over that haha

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
            I was very much looking forward to the "complete port of GNOME to Wayland" they planned for 3.12. I get the feeling it's going to take another year before there is even one fully usable desktop on Wayland.
            And this is the reason I report bugs. There are few developers, I'm not a dev so I can help reporting bugs at least. (I would like to donate money but I prefer to graduate first and have a job to earn money)

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
              Yes, the problem is that even if Gnome 3.14 is labelled as a full port to Wayland, it'll likely have sore issues enough for a non-Wayland fan to go back to X.org (the fans will endure them). I hope KDE releases a _really_ full port to Wayland _this_ year, not 2015 or 2016.

Edit: Some might remember that Gnome 3.0 was postponed like 4 times.
              Last edited by mark45; 28 February 2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

doesnt surprise me bout Wayland not being completely ported over in 3.12 , i predicted this ages ago. another let down by the Gnome-nuts

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Wayland Still To Be A "Tech Preview" In GNOME 3.12

While a lot of headway has been made during the GNOME 3.10 and 3.12 development cycles for allowing the GNOME Shell and rest of the desktop run natively on Wayland without a hard dependency on X11, it was decided that enabling the Wayland support by default will not happen now until at least GNOME 3.14. GNOME 3.12 will still work as a very reasonable Wayland tech preview, but there's some unfinished tasks to be addressed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxNzg
                  I don't understand this. Unless I'm mistaken they've said, for awhile(since before the 3.8 release, I think), that 3.12 was going to be mostly ready (that is, available through gdm but not default), with 3.14 expected to switch over defaults.

Comment

I don't know if depends on wayland: I installed Fedora 21 and it was faster than Lubuntu on my system... but due to audio matching issue I was forced to reinstall Lubuntu. I'm waiting for chromium ozone too, it's the wayland porting of chromium project.

Comment

Working...
                    X