Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 99

Thread: LGP To Start Work On Another Game

  1. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    At least 6+ months of it, from what I have been led to believe. Same goes with most of the other things. There's titles that've been ported, even, that may never see the light of day because the publisher nixed going forward with it at the 11th hour of things for whatever reason. I know of at least one title that I've a demo for that's really a hot n' cool one that was waiting for the final goahead a YEAR running now. Probably not going to be happening at this point, even though it's liable to be done already, knowing whom did the work.
    Not surprised. Not surprised at all. There's also that other game was supposed to have a Linux client but is somehow stuck in some sort of legal mud. *chuckles*

    It's certainly ain't a pretty sight, but unless publishers see a market, we are just going to go down the same road each and every time.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Not surprised. Not surprised at all. There's also that other game was supposed to have a Linux client but is somehow stuck in some sort of legal mud. *chuckles*
    Heh... Ain't that a sore subject with quite a few people... >:-D

  3. #83
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    I know of at least one title that I've a demo for that's really a hot n' cool one that was waiting for the final goahead a YEAR running now. Probably not going to be happening at this point, even though it's liable to be done already, knowing whom did the work.
    That really sucks.

    Specs:

    ARM Cortex-A8 Superscalar CPU
    TI IVA 2+
    Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 530
    128Mb DRAM
    2 SDHC card slots
    WiFi
    WVGA (800x480) Touch Screen
    Dual analog control nubs
    Digital control pad and buttons.
    Keyboard
    OS will be an embedded Linux distro
    If it has good audio play back I'm sold. Although I suppose you could get USB sound card... Battery life might be a problem though. *urge to tinker rising*

  4. #84
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    you can't discuss things only in black and white, saying "you either like the game ported or f*ck off you whiny(sp?) unappreciative bia*ch" will not help anyone
    Whilst I agree that you have to see the problem from all angles, people just bitching about the games being ported as they suck or are to old isn't helping anyone as LGP doesn't have much choice in what games they get to port. I mean just reading through this thread you'll find a lot of the posts about Sarced are negative due to it being old/"crap"/cost more then the windows version and that helps no one. Fact is LGP can't afford to reduce the price or buy newer games with out taking a huge risk that might not pay off. As for it being crap I'll buy it because I'll probably enjoy playing it and I'm sure I wont be the only one. I use to love D2 and I don't have a problem playing games with dated graphics. To be honest I've tried some of the newer games on other peoples PCs/PS3s/360s and they aren't all that much fun. Graphics are amazing but game play is lacking. Gameplay >> graphics hence why the Wii is blowing the competition away.
    Anyway what LGP needs is constructive criticism don't just say it's crap, offer a feasible solution for the problem.

    but, what should one do if one wants to help and thank LGP for their efforts, but doesn't enjoy those games that have been ported?
    If you really want to help linux gaming in general contribute to Mojosetup or another project that makes bringing games to linux easier with code/translations/testing heck even just donating some money to help cover the server costs.
    Last edited by Aradreth; 05-23-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo's and such

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    If you really want to help linux gaming in general contribute to Mojosetup or another project that makes bringing games to linux easier with code/translations/testing heck even just donating some money to help cover the server costs.
    i did the romanian translation actually

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    I happen to LIKE Diablo 2 style stuff as well as the NWN/Witcher stuff- so I don't have the same issue with it that you claim to.
    i like Diablo, what i did say was that it fells kind of dull just to make a game ( there are hundreds actually ) based on this known good "recipe"

    the "tanked" rationale was badly used by me, sorry

    as i still don't see any game dev/publisher saying "we did not sell that many copies because the Linux gamers did not buy our game", repeating "Buying Windows titles won't help." ad nauseam as the only true answer to any question does not help anyone, and i feel attacked every time it is used as a response to my ideas about what can be done to get the dev/publishers to care about all their customers needs

    my original post was full of unintended rage, as much as i respect what LGP's accomplised ( i have repeated this in my posts ) i know that in the end the copies sold for Linux are the ones that count, having a game that might not sell that good will hamper the future works of LGP

    as for Sacred, i sure do hope the Sacred 1 port will open doors to Sacred 2, i'll try the demo anyway, i hope the Aug 2008 timeframe can be respected

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    That really sucks.
    You've no idea how much it hurts to have said that one...

    If it has good audio play back I'm sold. Although I suppose you could get USB sound card... Battery life might be a problem though. *urge to tinker rising*
    Playback won't be an issue, I suspect. The only sticking point will be what the manufacturer (The guy responsible for the UK retail front for GamePark on the GP32/GP2X line...) does with it. Since it's intended by gamers for gamers, I suspect he's not going to be willing to shave too many pennies off his BOM on this one...

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    i did the romanian translation actually

    i like Diablo, what i did say was that it fells kind of dull just to make a game ( there are hundreds actually ) based on this known good "recipe"
    Perhaps there's hundreds of actual commercial quality Diablo-likes on Windows. Right now, there's not a single one on Linux. None. The closest has been Siege of Avalon, which still hasn't seen the light of day yet.

    Keep that in mind when you think about these things. Try the demo and see if it tickles your fancy. If not, no harm done. But...spare everyone the rage and all. It does NOBODY any good. Yourself and the publishers included.

    the "tanked" rationale was badly used by me, sorry
    No problem- apology accepted.

    All I ask is that people choose their words more wisely when they go and comment on things.

    Having "tanked" on Windows isn't at all a good or reliable metric for determining if a game is worth messing with. Nor is "this is a Diablo 2 clone with horses, etc.", really. Until you see the "cloned" game on Linux, it's not really a good metric, now is it?

    Your words speak of someone of the same thinking that caused the debacle with Quake3 for Linux. You don't realize it. Most people don't when they do this.

    When you comment on things "working fine on WINE", you're doing the same thing. Honest.

    In the end, though, it causes the same set of problems and frictions- just as it did in 1999 for us.

    as i still don't see any game dev/publisher saying "we did not sell that many copies because the Linux gamers did not buy our game", repeating "Buying Windows titles won't help." ad nauseam as the only true answer to any question does not help anyone, and i feel attacked every time it is used as a response to my ideas about what can be done to get the dev/publishers to care about all their customers needs
    The Linux publisher crowd DOES care about their customer's needs. Unfortunately, it still seems you're not seeing the problems that everyone, independent porter, publisher, etc. faces in this situation. We're only in an "okay" position right at the moment because of that little Q3:A debacle. The people that have the rights aren't the Linux publisher crowd, they're the Windows publisher crowd and if you're not buying Windows stuff, you're not their customer, period. They honestly do not care one whit right at the moment about you because to them, right or wrong, you and I are a teardrop in a giant sea. Getting them to see things better? What have I kept saying in this thread? Unless Valve actually magically makes it all work better (and they MIGHT just do that...) with Source and Steam coming to Linux- you're going to have to do it that way for a while yet because it's going to take a substantively large decrease in Windows title sales for them to pull their collective head out and see the demographic numbers for what they really are.

    Moreover, everything you've come up with so far in this thread happens to have been tried, found to NOT work- because they all miss the point I keep bringing up. The game industry does NOT work in a manner that these things would do any bit of good. deanjo actually did do a bit of suggesting more suitable alternatives when I threw that challenge up at him in another thread. Getting people to tell us what you all want ported doesn't do a lick of good. We want the same things YOU all do in our hands (We like gaming and like doing it on Linux where things are typically better- else we wouldn't be doing this thankless work in the business... )- but as I, Aradreth, and niniendowarrior have all pointed out in this thread, it's not as simple as that. Not how the industry is framed in right now.

    If you're unwilling to help out by buying what's available (and I'm not going to insist people buy stuff they don't want...) you might want to stop and think about how to end-run, in a realistic manner, the problem I keep stating over and over again to everyone that brings up this subject in any forum of this nature.

    If not, I've already told you what will work. It's because of how things are structured in the games industry as a whole. Honest.

    my original post was full of unintended rage, as much as i respect what LGP's accomplised ( i have repeated this in my posts ) i know that in the end the copies sold for Linux are the ones that count, having a game that might not sell that good will hamper the future works of LGP
    We have what we have to work with. Doesn't matter if it's LGP, Runesoft, Ryan, myself, etc. You're still missing that we have a limited say in what we can/can't get to port. Raging like you did on this one doesn't contribute anything to the situation and can actually muddy the waters.

    as for Sacred, i sure do hope the Sacred 1 port will open doors to Sacred 2, i'll try the demo anyway, i hope the Aug 2008 timeframe can be respected
    It should. Michael Simms has gotten bit by announcements when we got rights a couple of times and he's more inclined to announce when the title's a solid beta these days. It would make sometime around that timeframe unless it develops a few narfy show-stoppers like Bandits has right at the moment.

    The big take away from all this conversation should be that each one of these deals that LGP or Runesoft (or Ryan Gordon, or...) does leads to another, usually better, or much better one- so long as the deals at least bring break-even or better out of them. This is going to be the case for a while yet.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 05-23-2008 at 04:27 PM.

  8. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    It should. Michael Simms has gotten bit by announcements when we got rights a couple of times and he's more inclined to announce when the title's a solid beta these days. It would make sometime around that timeframe unless it develops a few narfy show-stoppers like Bandits has right at the moment.
    I keep staring at the beta page and still no Sacred. I've been hoping to get to help out on it but it still hasn't popped up yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    The big take away from all this conversation should be that each one of these deals that LGP or Runesoft (or Ryan Gordon, or...) does leads to another, usually better, or much better one- so long as the deals at least bring break-even or better out of them. This is going to be the case for a while yet.
    Yeah. And hopefully LGP's endeavors prove to be good hits for them.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I keep staring at the beta page and still no Sacred. I've been hoping to get to help out on it but it still hasn't popped up yet.
    I believe it'll sent out on the ML as well, might be an easier option.

  10. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    I believe it'll sent out on the ML as well, might be an easier option.
    I believe it'll come out on mailing list as well, but I tend to miss a lot of e-mails.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •