Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 99

Thread: LGP To Start Work On Another Game

  1. #71
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Yeah. It's something that I learn from flocking forums. I don't like the attitude people exhibit, but it seems it cannot be helped, really.

    I hope people can have a more open mind about this. Maybe things will change, but haven't we kept harping about change year after year?
    I'm sure plenty of people appreciate the job LGP and Runesoft are doing (I know I do) but the thing is the people enjoying the games don't see a reason to post on forums so you end up with just people whining.

    GP2X
    Didn't know about this one looks quite nice... I might have to see if it's worth getting this or the Pandora...

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people appreciate the job LGP and Runesoft are doing (I know I do) but the thing is the people enjoying the games don't see a reason to post on forums so you end up with just people whining.
    the thing is that nothing is absolute

    you can't discuss things only in black and white, saying "you either like the game ported or f*ck off you whiny(sp?) unappreciative bia*ch" will not help anyone

    I am posting here because I CARE about Linux games, I want them plenty and varied

    but, what should one do if one wants to help and thank LGP for their efforts, but doesn't enjoy those games that have been ported?

    should i email them with "pls port DaWitcher, k? 10x!" ?

    i, for one, hoped that given, afaik, the close relation between Phoronix and LGP, this forum could act as a feedback system for LGP, and thats exactly what i've given

    as any other game on any platform, the games ported by LGP will go through the same logic: info, review, demo tested, decision of buying or not

    unfortunately the Sacred demo tested by me in 2005 did not attract me beyond a Diablo(2) clone + horses + big/open map
    Last edited by Licaon; 05-23-2008 at 10:04 AM.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    Didn't know about this one looks quite nice... I might have to see if it's worth getting this or the Pandora...
    Hang loose. The Pandora's a quantum leap in gaming handhelds. The current crop of them don't do things like shader programmable 3D- the Pandora DOES.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    unfortunately the Sacred demo tested by me in 2005 did not attract me beyond a Diablo(2) clone + horses + big/open map
    Then that should have been ALL you said, my friend.

    The rest of your commentary was gratuitous past that statement right there and contributes nothing to the conversation.

    This isn't a "take it and like it" remark that I've been making all throughout this thread with you.

    If you don't want it- fine. No problem. It's not your cup of tea- and I can understand that.

    I happen to LIKE Diablo 2 style stuff as well as the NWN/Witcher stuff- so I don't have the same issue with it that you claim to.

    Ragging on it as having "tanked" as your rationale (which is what you ran up the flagpole initially...), however, is more than over the top and misses the whole point (as you seem to keep missing, sir...) of what I've been trying to tell you.

    Saying "Why don't you do stuff like Witcher?" and then ignoring what I've been telling you isn't winning you any points. I hate to disillusion you and everyone that's not on the same page right at the moment...unless it's a Windows SKU or has a means to run it with some semblance of NATIVE Linux binaries, you are NOT their customer. Get the notion that you're their customer out of your head- unless you run the title under Windows, you're nothing of the sort.

    You've been told what's going on and why- and you keep repeating the same thing over and over again. And, unfortunately, even though several people have told you how things work, you keep trying the same thing- the industry DOES NOT WORK THE WAY YOU THINK IT DOES.

    Trust me, many people in the Linux publishing space have discussed trying to get titles of the nature you're wanting in hand.

    In pretty much every case, the proposal's shot down by the current Windows publisher who's got all the rights in question. In many cases, it's not the studio that has a say-so. In many cases, the studio actually WANTED to make a Linux version and got told to NOT do it or else by the publisher. Telling me, Ryan, LGP, and others what you want is all well and good0 it's decent feedback to let all of the people trying to make a difference know they're barking up the right tree or not.

    Expecting that to change things in the slightest isn't realistic- and I've been telling you over and over again WHY.

    [edit]

    Suggesting wanted titles isn't going to change things.
    Buying what's available when you like what you see will.
    Buying Windows titles won't.
    Pestering studios and publishers for Linux titles won't either.
    Bashing what's available when you don't like it won't either.

    Valve bringing Steam and Source MIGHT change things some or a lot. It depends on how well received it all is.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 05-23-2008 at 11:27 AM.

  5. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people appreciate the job LGP and Runesoft are doing (I know I do) but the thing is the people enjoying the games don't see a reason to post on forums so you end up with just people whining.

    Didn't know about this one looks quite nice... I might have to see if it's worth getting this or the Pandora...
    I hope you're right there. And I appreciate the stuff they do too. I used to have a mindset of that these people keep porting irrelevant things, but what they do really helps and gradually improves the situation with every title released. I hope to see more from them.

    GP2X is the nice pirates handheld machine. I've read quite a bit of it and it's quite lovely. I just don't have money to burn on that one. Never heard of Pandora, but I've been living inside a cave for at least a year. *chuckles*

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    GP2X is the nice pirates handheld machine. I've read quite a bit of it and it's quite lovely. I just don't have money to burn on that one. Never heard of Pandora, but I've been living inside a cave for at least a year. *chuckles*
    Heh... It's the "next-gen" of the GP2x- and may be the first entrant in the wave of "Fifth Generation" handhelds.

    Specs:

    ARM Cortex-A8 Superscalar CPU
    TI IVA 2+
    Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 530
    128Mb DRAM
    2 SDHC card slots
    WiFi
    WVGA (800x480) Touch Screen
    Dual analog control nubs
    Digital control pad and buttons.
    Keyboard
    OS will be an embedded Linux distro

    System's a clamshell. First and foremost, it's a UMPC class PDA type device with tuning and intent leaning strongly towards gaming and games. TI holds them up as one of the main initial customers (along with the Beagle Board community project that the TI people kick-started...) for the OMAP 3430/3440 SOCs- and they have had dev boards that even many TI'ers don't have access to playing around with the initial BSP work.

    Right now, I'm waiting to get my MK0 dev unit to start my work on things.

  7. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    the thing is that nothing is absolute

    you can't discuss things only in black and white, saying "you either like the game ported or f*ck off you whiny(sp?) unappreciative bia*ch" will not help anyone

    I am posting here because I CARE about Linux games, I want them plenty and varied
    Geez. Nobody told you to like the game being ported. If it's not your cup of tea, everyone can respect that. AND, my remark don't narrow it down on you but it's more of a general assessment of the boards. Bickerings on the "Why port an X year old game?" is quite abundant through the search function. You don't like the game, don't buy it. No love lost. But when a user attacks LGP, that's a different line that they cross and that's the part I really loath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    but, what should one do if one wants to help and thank LGP for their efforts, but doesn't enjoy those games that have been ported?

    should i email them with "pls port DaWitcher, k? 10x!" ?

    i, for one, hoped that given, afaik, the close relation between Phoronix and LGP, this forum could act as a feedback system for LGP, and thats exactly what i've given

    as any other game on any platform, the games ported by LGP will go through the same logic: info, review, demo tested, decision of buying or not

    unfortunately the Sacred demo tested by me in 2005 did not attract me beyond a Diablo(2) clone + horses + big/open map
    Feedback system isn't the way it works because there is no way LGP can say "Okay, Witcher got 90% of the vote so we walk up to Atari (and to a lesser extent, CD Projekt) and ask them to cut us a deal." That isn't how it works. And on Ascaron, who knows how long LGP held talks to them just to get them to finally crack and talk about porting some of their titles on Linux?

    I guess the sad pill in this whole ordeal is, you don't like the games they port and they don't have much of a choice anyway. These titles being ported are *always* going to be at the whim of the publisher who owns the rights.

  8. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... It's the "next-gen" of the GP2x- and may be the first entrant in the wave of "Fifth Generation" handhelds.

    Specs:

    ARM Cortex-A8 Superscalar CPU
    TI IVA 2+
    Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 530
    128Mb DRAM
    2 SDHC card slots
    WiFi
    WVGA (800x480) Touch Screen
    Dual analog control nubs
    Digital control pad and buttons.
    Keyboard
    OS will be an embedded Linux distro

    System's a clamshell. First and foremost, it's a UMPC class PDA type device with tuning and intent leaning strongly towards gaming and games. TI holds them up as one of the main initial customers (along with the Beagle Board community project that the TI people kick-started...) for the OMAP 3430/3440 SOCs- and they have had dev boards that even many TI'ers don't have access to playing around with the initial BSP work.

    Right now, I'm waiting to get my MK0 dev unit to start my work on things.
    My, my. That's one fine piece of machinery there. Say, are you porting for that platform too? I'm just intrigued at how different the toolchain is going to be.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    And on Ascaron, who knows how long LGP held talks to them just to get them to finally crack and talk about porting some of their titles on Linux?
    At least 6+ months of it, from what I have been led to believe. Same goes with most of the other things. There's titles that've been ported, even, that may never see the light of day because the publisher nixed going forward with it at the 11th hour of things for whatever reason. I know of at least one title that I've a demo for that's really a hot n' cool one that was waiting for the final goahead a YEAR running now. Probably not going to be happening at this point, even though it's liable to be done already, knowing whom did the work.

    I guess the sad pill in this whole ordeal is, you don't like the games they port and they don't have much of a choice anyway. These titles being ported are *always* going to be at the whim of the publisher who owns the rights.
    Indeed. That's pretty dead-on with what the situation is, even down to the sad situation we find all of ourselves in here.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    My, my. That's one fine piece of machinery there. Say, are you porting for that platform too? I'm just intrigued at how different the toolchain is going to be.
    ARM, which doesn't have hardware FP and a few other gotchas like that.
    It's mostly going to be like doing Maemo or GP2x coding, but that it's got OpenGL ES 2.0 ability in it.

    Right now, it's more of a pet project for moi- nothing official; but I do plan on helping provide a few FOSS projects being moved over to it for rollout or close to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •