Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Last Light Should Now Be Running Well On Mesa

Phoronix: Metro Last Light Should Now Be Running Well On Mesa

The Metro: Last Light game that's been exciting Linux and Windows gamers alike since its much anticipated debut is now starting to render correctly and run with the open-source Mesa / Gallium3D open-source graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's awesome news and shows huge progress.

One question though, is there an easy way to use recent versions of Mesa and X on Fedora? Like the xorgedgers PPA that ubuntu users have?

Cheers!

Comment

Big thanks for fixing that, finally I can play that game.

Comment

Probably you still can't

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Big thanks for fixing that, finally I can play that game.
        Unless you have paid for your video adapter over 300$ within last a few months - you probably can't.
        I have GTX660 from Nvidia, with far superior drivers to any open source or binary from AMD, and I still get quite often below 40 FPS(depends on area it jumps between 40 and 60 staying mainly above 50 FPS), unless you have much more powerfull card than mine - you are probably out of luck. Unless you are ready to tweak game to lower settings than what was set to default.

Anyway, try it please and let other users know and perhaps provide some details on driver/kernel version and hardware involved.

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post

One question though, is there an easy way to use recent versions of Mesa and X on Fedora? Like the xorgedgers PPA that ubuntu users have?

Cheers!
          If you want git versions of mesa, kernel, xorg driver; run rawhide

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            Unless you have paid for your video adapter over 300$ within last a few months - you probably can't.
            I have GTX660 from Nvidia, with far superior drivers to any open source or binary from AMD, and I still get quite often below 40 FPS(depends on area it jumps between 40 and 60 staying mainly above 50 FPS), unless you have much more powerfull card than mine - you are probably out of luck. Unless you are ready to tweak game to lower settings than what was set to default.

Anyway, try it please and let other users know and perhaps provide some details on driver/kernel version and hardware involved.
            Radeon HD 6670 ($60 today?) - medium settings, 1920x1080 - 20-30 fps
            Integrated Intel HD 4000 - low-medium, 1366x768 - 15-25 fps

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
              If you want git versions of mesa, kernel, xorg driver; run rawhide
              no other possibility? We maybe don?t want everything unstable. Would be enough to have kernel and graphics stack from git and the rest from stable...
              Its possible on ubuntu and opensuse. Really not possible on Fedora??

Whats the situation in other Distros? Just curious...

And ...Is there any stable mesa 10.0 ppa for ubuntu like there are stable mesa 10.0 repos for opensuse? I did not find one. Only the unstable 10.2git stuff from oibaf, xorgedgers etc...

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post

Cheers!
                Personally I run the Rawhide kernel: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RawhideKernelNodebug

Then build Mesa from git this allows easy switching back to the stable version: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo/
                The guide looks scary but you only really need to worry about the section starting with the heading "Mesa3D" and ending at "Before GettingStarted: Avoid known pitfalls"

I've never bothered upgrading X so far.

Comment

Far below of what i'd call playable.

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                  Radeon HD 6670 ($60 today?) - medium settings, 1920x1080 - 20-30 fps
                  Integrated Intel HD 4000 - low-medium, 1366x768 - 15-25 fps
                  Add moments where FPS goesbelow of what usually you have, and boom you got major slow downs.
                  You can argue that newer cards are more powerful, but they have worse drivers as well, at the end of day you may have issues that are greater that will kill performance.
                  Last edited by dimko; 27 February 2014, 06:10 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    no other possibility? We maybe don?t want everything unstable. Would be enough to have kernel and graphics stack from git and the rest from stable...
                    Its possible on ubuntu and opensuse. Really not possible on Fedora??

Whats the situation in other Distros? Just curious...

And ...Is there any stable mesa 10.0 ppa for ubuntu like there are stable mesa 10.0 repos for opensuse? I did not find one. Only the unstable 10.2git stuff from oibaf, xorgedgers etc...
                    You can run nodebug rawhide kernel from koji on fedora without issues. Installing specific packages from rawhide on fedora can create problems and as far as I know nobody maintains a git graphics repo for fedora

Changes which aren't drastic are usually backported to stable fedora releases. Rawhide isn't as unstable as people make it out to be. You should be fine as long as you are running KDE. Gnome dev releases can break things

Someone maintains a repo for Arch Linux I guess, also -9999 of any package on Gentoo should fetch you the git version. I don't know of a stable 10.0 repo for ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                    X