Metro Last Light Should Now Be Running Well On Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running without error is not "running well"

Until open source drivers can deliver on FPS they are not useful for games, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Unless you have paid for your video adapter over 300$ within last a few months - you probably can't.
      I have GTX660 from Nvidia, with far superior drivers to any open source or binary from AMD, and I still get quite often below 40 FPS(depends on area it jumps between 40 and 60 staying mainly above 50 FPS), unless you have much more powerfull card than mine - you are probably out of luck. Unless you are ready to tweak game to lower settings than what was set to default.

Anyway, try it please and let other users know and perhaps provide some details on driver/kernel version and hardware involved.
      I don't know how to measure the framerate, couldn't find a setting for that. Anyways, I have played the prison escape for now and couldn't experience any slowdowns that I would have noticed. Playing this on a Phenom II X6, 16GB RAM, HD6870, on Slackware 14.1 with libdrm 2.4.52, LLVM 3.4, Mesa 10.1-RC2, xf86-video-ati 7.3 and xserver 1.15 in 1920x1080 with max settings.

Great job, radeon developers, thank you.

Comment

LIBGL_SHOW_FPS=1 foo

or use the gallium hud, I can't remember the syntax outright.

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
          That's awesome news and shows huge progress.

One question though, is there an easy way to use recent versions of Mesa and X on Fedora? Like the xorgedgers PPA that ubuntu users have?

Cheers!
          Given that Fedora 21 is going to be a long release, fedora could be stick on Mesa 9.2 for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            LIBGL_SHOW_FPS=1 foo

or use the gallium hud, I can't remember the syntax outright.
            Code:
            GALLIUM_HUD=fps
            1680x1050 + hd7770 at medium = 40-50 fps (it's better than catalyst)
            gamma settings doesn't work for me.

Comment

On a related note, is there some method to get finer grained fps including min/max? Something like LIBGL_SHOW_FPS but that does not show one numer a second. Maybe something like voglperf/libframetime and manually calculating the fps? How is the phoronix suite doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                I don't know how to measure the framerate, couldn't find a setting for that.

Great job, radeon developers, thank you.
                Right click on the game name in the Steam library->properies->startup parameters (or something similar, I do not use English):

Code:
                GALLIUM_HUD=fps %command%
                You can show many other things, example:

Code:
                GALLIUM_HUD=fps,draw-calls,cpu %command%

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                Running without error is not "running well"

Until open source drivers can deliver on FPS they are not useful for games, at all.
                Open source drivers performance is good. My framerates are low, because GPU's are very slow - basically R600g/i965 performance is similar to the Windows drivers performance.
                Last edited by kwahoo; 27 February 2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Freeze after 20 min or so.

I installed the game today on Ubuntu 13.10 with Oibaf's mesa-git ppa, and Linux 3.13 from Trusty. I get good framerate with maxed out graphics on Radeon 6850, but after about 20 min the screen turns into a weird pattern of vertical lines and the PC freezes. It's not overheating, since it does not go over 60-something degrees. Did anyone encounter something similar? Any clue on how to debug it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    On a related note, is there some method to get finer grained fps including min/max? Something like LIBGL_SHOW_FPS but that does not show one numer a second. Maybe something like voglperf/libframetime and manually calculating the fps? How is the phoronix suite doing it?
                    PTS uses the output from the engine (this is why you don't see min/max in all tests), I think it can also calculate it from all tests that support frame times.

Calculating that from libframetime output would be a very simple awk/perl/etc script.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Calculating that from libframetime output would be a very simple awk/perl/etc script.
                      I committed a simple awk script to do that. A standalone graph renderer is still TODO.

Comment

Working...
                      X