Looking for media center MB ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for media center MB ideas

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process of salvaging my old not-really working media computer, and would like some suggestions for a micro-ATX motherboard.

I'm looking more on the budget end, and right now it would only handle standard def video, but I'd like to have the ability to handle hi-def video. I'd like several TV outs on the board- S-video and HDMI would be nice.

I'm a fan of AMD, and would like an AMD board, but my budget is more important than who I am a fan of.

Thanks everyone!

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (AM2+)

Uses AMD 780G (fastest integrated graphic chip avaible at the moment) and SB700. The motherboard is great for its low price (65€ in Germany). The graphic chip (equally to the AMD Radeon HD 3200) is supported by the proprietary Catalyst/fglrx driver and will of course be supported by the opensource RadeonHD driver in the (near) future. Has got HDMI, DVI and VGA and is fast enough for HD video.

If you're looking for a processor, I would go with the new AMD Athlon X2 4850e (AM2) with 2.5GHz and a TDP of only 45W!

Comment

Thanks dk2x- that's pretty much what I wanted, and you even threw in a processor recommendation- that was just awesome.

Comment

How's HDMI-Audio implemented for that board? I recently read in c't (German computer mag) that there is a possibility for HDMI-Audio to be interleaved from a regular S/P-DIF header, and that this is done on some dedicated NVIDIA gfx cards - I would like to make use of such an option for getting HDMI _with sound_ to work under GNU/Linux with free drivers only; has anyone of you a recommendation at hand which hardware (motherboard, ?ATX, ATI graphics, socket AM2) there is that allows for such a configuration?

Comment

Working...
        X