X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for AMD:

1: Mantle: WTF? Seriously?
    2: Catalyst: WTF? Seriously?
    3: SteamOS: Why are you not down on your knees right beside Intel, servicing Valve's every desire? Seriously?

As someone that has spent several decades in this industry, I find the stagnation on the part of the hardware vendors to be absolutely mind boggling. It's like watching a TV sitcom where the same 6 people make the same stupid choices for a decade and never grow or learn from their mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
      Does it matter if UE4 is coming out? Won't that replace UE3 or?
      There has been no official stance so far if UDK would be updated to UE4 or not. And regardless, UE3 situation is relevant for trying to predict what UE4 will have (we have very little info on it yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
        This is not something new. How do you think OpenGL was developed?
        By SGi.

AND, Intel, nViDiA adopted it later.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          An answer to "Who actually owns S3TC patents" would be interesting to hear, just to make certain.
          I though this was already common knowledge. HTC bought S3 to defend itself against Apples patent lawsuits [1] I don't think we will ever see this patent made royalty free but does it really matter? 3 more years and the patent expires anyway.

[1] http://www.htc.com/www/about/newsroo...s-s3-graphics/

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            I though this was already common knowledge. HTC bought S3 to defend itself against Apples patent lawsuits [1] I don't think we will ever see this patent made royalty free but does it really matter? 3 more years and the patent expires anyway.

[1] http://www.htc.com/www/about/newsroo...s-s3-graphics/
            There was a thread that was pointed out, where people were talking about AMD making claims in court that they own the patent as well. I know it's most likely HTC's, but like I said, it would be good to know for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Looks like AMD is flying me out to San Francisco as they want me at GDC and to meet with Graham.... Anyone have any interesting AMD Linux OpenGL questions they want asked?
              Is AMD still working with Folding@Home to improve their Linux OpenCL Driver for Catalyst. Currently you can only fold Fahcore17(opencl) natively with Nvidia. From this Fah thread
              "Short answer is that the desktop AMD GPUs lack drivers with sufficient OpenCL support to run FAH in linux."
              Proteneer's reddit thread

I know not OpenGL but still...
              Last edited by DarkFoss; 01 March 2014, 12:39 PM.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
              X