No announcement yet.

Valve's Portal 2 Now In Beta On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not exactly soon, but better late than never

Comment

(Excuse me for the silly question but I'm not a gamer, just buying this for the kids.)

How do you buy the beta if you don't already own the game or run Mac/Windows at all? You buy the regular Game (it only shows WIn/Mac support), and then download the Linux Beta version? Or is there a beta channel you can search games on?

Comment

You buy the game and then you enable the beta feature which will allow you to install it on linux.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Downloading, it just appeared in my games library

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            You buy the game and then you enable the beta feature which will allow you to install it on linux.
            Works like a charm, thank you! Downloading!

Comment

Okay, downloading it now...

Comment

I really want to see Counter Strike: Global Offensive but this will have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  It appears you don't even have to opt-in to the beta to get access. At least it's available for me, and I didn't have the beta selected.

Last edited by zman0900; 25 February 2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Damn Valve, this is awesome!

For some reason I'm not allowed to edit my previous post...

I was able to install without opting in to the beta, but the portal2.sh file had windows line endings and only referred to an OS x executable, so it didn't work at all. Enabling the beta was only an additional 60 MB download and now the game works amazingly well.

The game autodetected native resolution with mostly high settings, except no AA or AF, and is running smooth as anything. I am amazed at how well this is running. Better than what half life 2 does. Here's my setup:

Linux 3.13.5
                    Mesa 10.0.3
                    Llvm 3.4
                    GPU: radeon hd 7850 with radeonsi driver
                    CPU intel i7 3770
                    Monitor: 2560x1440

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Pretty sure the way they're fixing this is to move every popular title (those MP titles with regular updates, like TF2, ...) to the upcoming OpenGL-based Source 2 Engine... says Pidgey.
                      The Source 2 engine is D3D with another crappy D3D -> OGL translation layer. Yeah maybe they'll get around to doing native OGL support in Source 2.

Just like maybe they'll get around to reading any of the millions of bug reports on github.

As a customer, I can't say I'm too impressed with Valve. They take your money and then drop off the planet to work on something else. JMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X