Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Less Than Half The Phoronix Traffic Is From Linux Systems

Quote Originally Posted by sunweb View Post
    This is insane. Why are they even here? I can understand even Apple but Mices? There're no news for them at all or am i missing something?
    I primarily visit this site on my Windows desktop machine. I use Windows because my favorite games run on it, but I wanna switch to Linux when it's comfortable enough to do so. I did put Mint on my laptop, but that's because I don't play games on that machine.

Phoronix is the only website that seems to talk about games on Linux and graphic drivers.

My main PC at home runs Ubuntu, but I'm currently at the office using Windows XP but I visit Phoronix mostly from my Android Phone.

Well I can understand various situations some people have to use Windows (poor guys), but.... Internet Explorer?!

No one should have to endure that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    Well, for example, there are some PCs in which you cannot change the OS even if you wanted to... (e.g. workplace)
    the only thing that you need to install on a blocked OS: virtualbox!!!!

step1:
    coworker: can i install a VM for some testings? i need a clean environment
    pointy haired boss: ooohhhh... how much is a license?
    coworker: no costs, no licence, free
    p.h.b: free, why didn't you say so? go ahead...
    coworker (whispering): free as in beer for you, free as in spirit for me

step 2: maximize the VM, host OS gone forever

I am using Linux but I navigate through Tor, and user agent switcher in Firefox. Sorry to distort statistics
    Last edited by YAFU; 02-25-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Phoronix is the only website that seems to talk about games on Linux and graphic drivers.
    Hey, www.gamingonlinux.com is great.

This is insane. Why are they even here? I can understand even Apple but Mices? There're no news for them at all or am i missing something?
    Because Linux is not a religion?
    I maintain a Linux server with several vms, a linux HTPC, a linux netbook, and my main desktop dual boots Linux/Windows 7.
    So I am interested in Linux development, especially given how much my home IT infrastructure rely on it.
    But I also consider that Windows 7 is a very good OS, and I boot it or Linux on my main desktop depending on which task I intend to work on (games, photo editing, programming, etc..).

And that does not look that much insane to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSnake View Post
    Well I can understand various situations some people have to use Windows (poor guys), but.... Internet Explorer?!

No one should have to endure that.
    Well compared to Chrome (RAM hungry and slow) and FF (Better, but UI still not suitable) on my Tablet (VP11, x86 CPU) IE11 + W8.1 are better than any alternatives :/ (On my tablet)
    No way in hell I'd use an Android/iOS tablet for my Soft Eng course.

Laptop/Desktop are both dual booted however, and usually in Linux (as thats what I use in my course) but most of the time I read news sites etc... on my Tablet, or when I have time to relax (which is games on Windows) so I probably account for some of the Win/IE stats, but certainly come here for the Linux news

Let me ask you this: Can my future workplace let me use an operating system other than Windows such as Ubuntu or GNOME 3 to do my work? I don't think so. I don't think it will matter if I try to install Windows in a VirtualBox just so I can run Microsoft Office 2013 that they want me to run. If too many jobs in United States require Windows, then why would I install Linux just to install Windows in a VM? Let alone Adobe products if I'm forced to use them? Besides, even if people claim to mention that Linux is in high demand, there no way out of Windows!

I've been living Windows-free since November of 2012 with a custom-built computer. But that day will be over once I find a job so I can make some money. I hope one day the resource-based economy might change all that. I love computers and I love to do web development (I'll have to relocate out of Tallahassee, FL and web development is too specific right now); I really do. But it will just be too hard to find a job that is completely platform-agnostic. If a job lets me use a Mac or Linux, I'd be all over for it as I have zero influence in Microsoft.

Because I am Linux user, but my main pastime is video games, so my gaming desktop (which is my main computer when I'm at home) run Windows, while the laptop and server run Linux.