Unity 8 + Mir Can Now Be Tried On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
    they need a simple instaler we can install from the store or something...
    i tryed installing manualy i have the unity 8 session on the login but when i launch it there nothing but black screen and a white " _ ".
    I installed mir and xmir, qt ubuntu and the mir session, not sure i missed any dependencie or what..
    What graphics card and driver do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      What graphics card and driver do you use?
      its an amd hd 3xxx

Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV635

mesa 10.1
      Last edited by TheSoulz; 25 February 2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Did you check this:

NOTE: You may need to undo the damage done when libhybris was installed by running the command

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf

and choosing the non-libhybris alternative. The symptom that you need to do this is an error in /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log that says something like this:

undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Dispatch
        Also if I remember correctly there are some problems with current Mir on desktops which should be resolved in next version 0.1.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
          The last time that I've read about this on blog of Stephen M. Webb from Canonical there was no mouse and trackpad support and keyboard input had no effect.
          The keyboard works fine, although there are no keyboard shortcuts (yet). The mouse/trackpad support is still missing because for some reason the cursor is not enabled in the display server, although certain multi-touch gestures work with trackpads. One of the reasons for landing this earlier in the Trusty Tahr release cycle is so developers can find and fix such issues that occur only in the desktop environment.

Comment

Installing the unity8-desktop-session-mir package should be all you need to do; it pulls in all the required dependencies.

There are a couple of bugs, one in Mir and one in QtUbuntu, that can cause Unity8 to fail to start. Fixes for these are working their way through the system. You will see errors in the file ~/.cache/upstart/unity8.log.

You may also run into trouble if you're using the proprietary drivers for your video card.

Comment

When I installed the unity8-desktop-session-mir in daily live image of Trusty and run the update-alternatives command libhybris was default.

Unity8 session on Mir didn't work for me I ended up with black screen. Most likely it was the Mir bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                Unity8 session on Mir didn't work for me I ended up with black screen. Most likely it was the Mir bug.
                Try adding the PPA found at https://launchpad.net/~unity8-deskto...archive/custom to your sources. It has up-to-date Mir and QtUbuntu packages containing the bug fixes.

Comment

I think that in it's current state, that's not in their best interests - anyone who needs a simple installer shouldn't be using it yet...

Comment

ok... it is indeed very easy to install simply install the unity8-desktop-session-x11 or -mir package and off you go. the only thing that held me off is that i couldnt find to switch sessions on the login screen. (clicking on the ubuntu logo next to the username...)
                    however the mir version delivers a black screen and the x11 version is hardly usable and not really for dekstop but an android simulation (looks like one: small vertical screen and scrolling through unity scopes left and right when you manage to click the left menu on the clock screen)
                    to go back just switch to console and type "unity" to get your desktop and change session back.

Comment

has anyone managed to run unity8 on mir successfully? what did you use? what did you need to change? what hardware were you using? what packages?

Comment

Working...
                      X