Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 + Mir Can Now Be Tried On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop

Phoronix: Unity 8 + Mir Can Now Be Tried On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop

As of today it's become more easily possible to try out the experimental Unity 8 desktop interface (compared to the Unity 8 mobile version for the phone/tablet) and powered by the Mir Display Server when running the latest Ubuntu 14.04 packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm going to be one of those idiots that installs 14.10 the day it comes out, fully aware that some system breakage is expected. I'm really excited about Mir and Unity 8.

Comment

Does Unity8 on Mir work with nouveau.

I recall the test version of Gnome on Wayland worked on Intel, but not on nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Does Unity8 on Mir work with nouveau.

I recall the test version of Gnome on Wayland worked on Intel, but not on nouveau.
        In general it should work. If it actually works, depends on the GPU and how well Nouveau supports that.

Comment

installed it and it "works" ... read: system boots
          but: how do i make sure its unity8 (not 7), how can i change? how will i be sure its mir underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            but: how do i make sure its unity8 (not 7), how can i change? how will i be sure its mir underneath?
            if you dont see the difference im willing to bt you installed the qml shell not the actual unity8...
            i havent figured out how to install it either so dont worry.

to lauch unity8 qml shell open the terminal and write unity8

Comment

Wayland

I would rather see Wayland.

Unfortunately the Wayland and Weston in the Ubuntu repository is a bit dated now.

Comment

top might help
                I remember from older videos that there should be a process called unity-session-compositor or something like that.

Comment

First of all the packages are for now in Trusty proposed. Later they will move to universe. There are two packages one for session running on:

X11 unity8-desktop-session-x11

Mir unity8-desktop-session-mir

When you have it installed the new session will be available to choose from login screen.

There is a possibility that you will have to do the same thing that is advised in the PPA for Unity8 desktop session.

NOTE: You may need to undo the damage done when libhybris was installed by running the command

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf

and choosing the non-libhybris alternative. The symptom that you need to do this is an error in /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log that says something like this:

undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Dispatch
                  The last time that I've read about this on blog of Stephen M. Webb from Canonical there was no mouse and trackpad support and keyboard input had no effect.

Right now you could just install this from a PPA and go at it, but there are some big wrinkles that still need to be worked out. For instance, there?s no cursor support so mouse and trackpad support is a little troublesome (works swell with a touchscreen), and keyboard input seems to have no effect ? Unity8 has been developed with phones and tablets in mind, they don?t generally have a mouse, trackpad, or keyboard. It?s OK, there are plans in the works to add those, and that?s one of the reasons we have this session at this point in the Ubuntu release cycle.

Also, there is no way to log off from Unity8 (phones and tablets don?t generally support that concept) so that pretty much requires a reboot of the whole system unless you have an SSH session open.
                  Like he writes Unity8 for now is developed for phones and tablets. Of course that shouldn't stop anyone from tinkering (myself included).

Comment

they need a simple instaler we can install from the store or something...
                    i tryed installing manualy i have the unity 8 session on the login but when i launch it there nothing but black screen and a white " _ ".
                    I installed mir and xmir, qt ubuntu and the mir session, not sure i missed any dependencie or what..

Comment

Working...
                    X