Unity 8 + Mir Can Now Be Tried On The Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
    has anyone managed to run unity8 on mir successfully? what did you use? what did you need to change? what hardware were you using? what packages?
    Mir is currently supported only on free drivers, so your best results will be obtained using Intel video. If you're using a recent Ubuntu (eg. 14.04 LTS or the Utopic Unicorn development series), just install the unity8-desktop-session-mir package from the archives, then choose the Unity 8 session at the Lightdm login screen.

Running Unity 8 on anything other than Mir is not officially supported. It works when run on an X11 desktop for now, but there is no guarantee that will continue into the future.

Comment

when using the mir session im getting a black screen. thats all
      when i use the X version i get at least a background and a mouse cursor. but nothing more. im using G945 intel on 14.10 pre alpha

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        when using the mir session im getting a black screen. thats all
        when i use the X version i get at least a background and a mouse cursor. but nothing more. im using G945 intel on 14.10 pre alpha
        1. You may have a messed-up libhybris installation -- libhybris is a package that emulates libc on an Android system and has no business being on the desktop, and it does evil things by redirecting your EGL implementation to its own, which fails miserably without the rest of the Android runtime in place. See the comment here on how to undo that.
        2. A transient bug in the Utopic Unicorn series (14.10 prealpha) also causes a similar symptom. A fix is pending, or you can revert to a the previous version of the unity-system-compositor package. The trick with pre-alpha is sometimes things break.

If fixing one or both of those known problems doesn't get you up and running, you should really open a bug against the unity8-desktop-session project.

Comment

as of today it seems to be "working" (on nouveau): means it shows a desktop but input seems to be bugged for now. the libhybris is not being used so no need for update-alternatives.
          i have installed ubuntu-desktop-next on 14.10 dev though (it installs more packages)

Comment

Working...
          X