Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neovim: Rewriting & Modernizing The Vim Editor

Phoronix: Neovim: Rewriting & Modernizing The Vim Editor

Neovim is a new open-source text editor project that advertises itself as "vim's rebirth for the 21st century", a more modern version of the incredibly popular vim editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Streamlining? sure. Trying to turn it into emacs or eclipse? Probably not. I tend to use the vim mostly out of the box in a terminal over ssh. Makes it easier to jump on other vanilla unix boxes and just go to work without too much trouble. Adding extensions that I would have to rely on would cause trouble in this situation.

Comment

As someone with thirty-something plugins (some of which are unusable on slower systems with larger files), I'm looking forward to this. There are a lot of issues with vim's architecture that many plugins just hack around - fixing them would be a welcome change. There's also some changes proposed to how GUIs are implemented that would enable it to be embedded in other programs, compared to the current FakeVim solution.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
        Streamlining? sure. Trying to turn it into emacs or eclipse? Probably not. I tend to use the vim mostly out of the box in a terminal over ssh. Makes it easier to jump on other vanilla unix boxes and just go to work without too much trouble.
        its already like emacs in terms of capability.

Adding extensions that I would have to rely on would cause trouble in this situation.
        Vim is already well known for its extensions/plugins so if you don't have trouble with that now then I don't see why you would with a refactored vim.

Comment

When working with bigger projects, I use a full-blown IDE such as IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse.

For small projects, I mostly just use gedit.

If I work over ssh in a terminal, I use nano.

I never really got used to using vim or emacs, they just seem confusing and complicated.
          I don't see why I should use them.

Comment

I've been using vim for the past 20 years, because I don't know how to turn it off

Comment

I think vim desperately needs much better backend support for embedding, dynamically updated files, and especially realtime interaction with external processes. Some of this could come from much better support for automation via Python or JavaScript. The hacks in there now provide only limited crippled support.
              It might be a lot easier to just create a program which has full frontend emulation of vim, like vim did for vi, but a major refactoring of the existing codebase might lead to something actually happening, which is better than waiting. Vim 6.0 in 2001 was encouraging.

Comment

Kate already has a VIM input mode.

Comment

Hi,

This wasn't really an announcement: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...ev/x0BF9Y0Uby8

It was just a question I asked to Bram Moolenaar for what he thinks about Neovim.

I think this would be the announcement: https://www.bountysource.com/fundrai...e-21st-century

Comment

Vi(m). Damn, I love that editor...

Comment

Working...
                    X