Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael to the rescue!

Dear Michael!

It's important that You step into this, since You have contacts to NVIDIA directly & could ask them if their promise about good Linux support still stands!
    What I'm talking about?
    Simple, PHYSX on the GPU! (on Linux, of course!)

See this thread:
    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ive-on-linux-/

There, a NVIDIA developer responsible for PHYSX still argues with the same bullshit argument that there are too many different Linux distributions & therefore it takes them so long to deliver PHYSX for Linux! And this was in 2013! Unbelievable!

So, Michael, since NVIDIA doesn't seem to answer in the forum, could You provide us all with a status update regarding PHYSX on Linux? And it's not just about native Linux games either; think about all the Windows games like Mirror's Edge that run on Wine, but can't use PHYSX acceleration since NVIDIA doesn't provide it on Linux! (on the GPU, that is)

Thanks in advance!

Frankly, the argument given by the dev is insulting. If CUDA works on Linux, there is no reason whatsoever for PhysX not to work.

It would be much better if they said that they simply don't want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Frankly, the argument given by the dev is insulting. If CUDA works on Linux, there is no reason whatsoever for PhysX not to work.

It would be much better if they said that they simply don't want to do it.
      Thanks for the support! Oh, and I've always wondered: What does your username stand for? I'm guessing it's not "Real Numerus Clausus"?

BTW, the user called 'Deanjo' in the aforementioned thread is probably the same user also on Phoronix! You know, the one who owns an actual nVidia GeForce GTX Titan...
      I wonder where he's been, since he doesn't seem to be active on here anymore; probably because of all these damn trolls!

And Michael, if You see this: Since You're going to GDC, could You kindly ask the nVidia people about PhysX support on Linux (on the GPU, of course)?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Thanks for the support! Oh, and I've always wondered: What does your username stand for? I'm guessing it's not "Real Numerus Clausus"?
        NC are my initials. There was a dude in high school, in the same class even, that had the exact same name as me. It was confusing. I considered myself to be the "real" one :-P

Comment

If linux takes off with gaming, I'd rather not see physx supported well, because, you know, accelerated on only the gpus of one company, and stuff.

But even then, why not take the AMD approach? Choose some distribution(s) to officially support and everyone else is on their own. But that's proprietary software for you: 100% dependence on some company and if they don't want to do something, tough luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            Dear Michael!

It's important that You step into this, since You have contacts to NVIDIA directly & could ask them if their promise about good Linux support still stands!
            What I'm talking about?
            Simple, PHYSX on the GPU! (on Linux, of course!)

See this thread:
            https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ive-on-linux-/

There, a NVIDIA developer responsible for PHYSX still argues with the same bullshit argument that there are too many different Linux distributions & therefore it takes them so long to deliver PHYSX for Linux! And this was in 2013! Unbelievable!

So, Michael, since NVIDIA doesn't seem to answer in the forum, could You provide us all with a status update regarding PHYSX on Linux? And it's not just about native Linux games either; think about all the Windows games like Mirror's Edge that run on Wine, but can't use PHYSX acceleration since NVIDIA doesn't provide it on Linux! (on the GPU, that is)

Thanks in advance!
            Even if GPU PhysX was supported on Linux, Wine using it would be a whole different venture wouldn't it?

I could be wrong, but doesn't Wine only want non-platform-specific compatibility fixes (I believe that's the problem with Gallium D3D support or something)? If they added in the ability to use PhysX, it would only be specific to both Linux and NVIDIA.

Although on that note, imagine some open-form of PhysX that allowed PhysX to run on any GPU, or actually had proper multithreading (PhysX 2 has absolutely garbage multithreading on Windows).

Comment

"Too many distros" is always a BS copout, if that's an issue then why are they able to provide the driver at all?
              Leave package distribution to distribution maintainers, that's not something nvidia should even think about...

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                Even if GPU PhysX was supported on Linux, Wine using it would be a whole different venture wouldn't it?

I could be wrong, but doesn't Wine only want non-platform-specific compatibility fixes (I believe that's the problem with Gallium D3D support or something)? If they added in the ability to use PhysX, it would only be specific to both Linux and NVIDIA.

Although on that note, imagine some open-form of PhysX that allowed PhysX to run on any GPU, or actually had proper multithreading (PhysX 2 has absolutely garbage multithreading on Windows).
                http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=15673

From what I can gather from this thread is that it would actually be quite trivial for Wine to support PhysX acceleration on the GPU if only nVidia would provide the necessary driver for Linux...

Comment

Working...
                X