GNOME's Meld Finally Ported To GTK+ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z0id View Post
    It's like a phobia. Some people get goosebumps when they see the number or type of packages some apps depend on. It doesn't matter if their size is less than an mp3 song.
    A little bit :P, partly I have 10GB partition for root - and I want to stay in it, but when you install 2-3 ide-s, packages like mono, java and add to this libreoffice then I have ~1-2GB only free space.
    Originally posted by siavashserver
    Not the best solution - need the half kde have installed, I like pure qt apps, but kde apps mostly eats more space then a gtk3 app ;p.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
      A little bit :P, partly I have 10GB partition for root - and I want to stay in it, but when you install 2-3 ide-s, packages like mono, java and add to this libreoffice then I have ~1-2GB only free space.
      The "gtk3" package in Fedora is 13MB. There might be some more gtk packages needed, but I don't think you'd notice the memory footprint.

Comment

Not the best solution - need the half kde have installed, I like pure qt apps, but kde apps mostly eats more space then a gtk3 app ;p.
        A single KDE app is small if you have the KDE base already installed. It can be really small. For example some editor might be 100k or less.

Comment

Indeed

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          Congrats! One of the best tools in the OSS world.
          In may ways, far better than comparable proprietary tools.
          (Most of the my Windows using coworkers also use it under Windows...)

- Gilboa
          Because of awesome tools like Meld (it is not the only one) many of my co-workers eventually installed Linux and continued using it.

Comment

Is they any qt alternative to it? Or need I add meld ignore pkg - I will not install gtk3 only for one app, on my desktop I use only gtk2 and qt apps.
            kdiff3. Weird that nobody mentioned it. Great for 2- or 3-way comparison, also compares directories.

Comment

Originally posted by z0id View Post
              It's like a phobia. Some people get goosebumps when they see the number or type of packages some apps depend on. It doesn't matter if their size is less than an mp3 song.
              That's why I use Thunar instead of Dolphin. And comparing Thunar to Dolphin is like comparing Leafpad to Kate...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                A single KDE app is small if you have the KDE base already installed. It can be really small. For example some editor might be 100k or less.
                I use awesome as wm so I don't have kde instaled or any other DE like GNOME/Xfce, for basic tools is use apps from lxde, the are mostly standalone and not connected with the rest of the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                  I have used both kompare and kdiff3, sadly both doesn't have live editing which is available in meld.
                  That's a huge disadvantage (and disappointment too), so even though I'm using KDE now I still use meld.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    I actually managed to get new(er) version of meld by installing it manually.
                    Don't remember the exact version, though.
                    The problem with the CentOS 5 machines is that they only have Python 2.4, which is just too old (in particular, it predates the modern exception handling syntax), so meld just can't run. I can install a newer Python, but then I also need to install a bunch of modules (pygtk) which in turn require newer versions of gtk and other system libraries. Easier to just stick with the older meld version until we finally get these machines upgraded to CentOS 6 (or 7, if that's available by then).

Comment

Originally posted by yourWife View Post
                      I have used both kompare and kdiff3, sadly both doesn't have live editing which is available in meld.
                      That's a huge disadvantage (and disappointment too), so even though I'm using KDE now I still use meld.
                      As far as I can tell, neither of them have VCS integration either... that's one of meld's less obvious features, but if you give it a single directory as an argument, it works out if that directory is an SVN or GIT (possibly others too) workspace, and gives you a view of the local changeset - along with functions for committing, reverting, updating, etc. So very, very useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X