No announcement yet.

FFmpeg VP9 Decoder Claims To Be The World's Fastest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no need for vp8 nor vp9, there are H.264 and H.265 which are superior codecs. They are patented but video quality is most important thing, I don't care if someone else will need to pay some fees. I live in country with no software patents. These google codecs just create unnecessary diversity and useless work - coders will need to add support for these codecs to various programs, web sites maintainers will need to encode videos in different formats so that they will be playable in different browsers and people will enjoy problems with not supported codecs and unplayable videos.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      I feel sorry for the FFmpeg team; and end users.
      They are right, though. I suspect there will still be legacy code options for 32-bit only hardware, which aren't numerous any more (Early 2000 Pentiums and early Atoms). I've personally been using 64-bit hardware and software since 2005 at the latest, and 64-bit distributions from around that time as well. 32-bit should still be supported, but if large performance gains can be had from going 64-bit, then they should do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
        There is no need for vp8 nor vp9, there are H.264 and H.265 which are superior codecs. They are patented but video quality is most important thing, I don't care if someone else will need to pay some fees. I live in country with no software patents. These google codecs just create unnecessary diversity and useless work - coders will need to add support for these codecs to various programs, web sites maintainers will need to encode videos in different formats so that they will be playable in different browsers and people will enjoy problems with not supported codecs and unplayable videos.
        Yes, you're an ignorant asshole. You don't need to go around telling everyone.

Comment

Well, you're honest.

Comment

I'll be updating ffmpeg soon as I hear word of full encode/decode support for vp9 and/or h265
            I would love to transcode all my videos to one of these "next gen" codecs.

Comment

Why would you go to Phoronix? Why post in a forum? There are a lot of places where people think that is a great opinion to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                Not too surprising. In a reference implementation, correctness, readability, and development speed are typically more important than execution speed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the goal of a reference implementation should be to enable others to make something better.
                Yeah, like CPython vs Pypy

Comment

Congratulation! You just did the Internet equivalent of entering a reggae bar with a white hood..

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                    Yes, you're an ignorant asshole. You don't need to go around telling everyone.
                    This guy you quoted really made me sick. The world is about freedom to create whatever codec you want. We don't need trolls telling which patented codec we should be forced to use. If I want VP9, I'll have it. It's great to support diversity like in the nature.

Comment

Some users may find that ffvp9 is a lot slower than advertised on 32bit x86; this is correct, most of our x86 SIMD only works on 64bit x86 machines. If you have 32bit x86 software, port it to 64bit x86. Can?t port it? Ditch it. Nobody owns 32bit x86 hardware anymore these days.
                      Fixed that for him.
                      There's lots of 32 bit ARM devices out there, as well as a few other architectures.

Comment

Working...
                      X