AMD Kabini HD 8210: RadeonSI Gallium3D Can Outperform Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newwen View Post
    It's a same that features like eyefinity are only supported by the binary blobs.
    Um, eyefinity is one of the earlier features, supported by the open drivers for a very long time now.

Comment

I can't say these test results are very surprising. The IGP in this is probably slow enough that the RAM can actually keep up with it (it seems the open source drivers have a greater issue with memory bandwidth). I'm SURE if Michael did another test involving different RAM frequencies with the HD8210, the results won't be as drastic as they were with the A10. Another possible cause of the better performance is the open source drivers are incredibly tiny and simple compared to catalyst. Catalysts' bloat and complexity probably is a little too much for that puny piece of hardware to handle. But, just because its puny, it doesn't mean its bad.

Comment

Test against Catalyst 14.1 Beta and stop wasting everyone's time.

Comment

Great work AMD! I have to say I've been really impressed with your rate of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            OK it may outperform Catalyst but what about image quality impact?

In my personal experience with Mesa, glitches are everywhere in most games and especially on Steam proprietary games.

For example in my HTPC with RV630, Wargame European Escalation is unplayable due to heavy glitches and flickering.
            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73739

Probably another HyperZ issue, there have been a few of them for the r600g series of GPUs.

Try add this to the Steam launch options and see if it fixes it:
            R600_DEBUG=nohyperz %command%

Also, are you using oibafs repo?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I still find it funny that Michael includes the triangle benchmark. Why not just put a glxgears test in?

Anyway, DRI3 should vastly improve those scores, for those who care.
              Actually, Intel QA suggested I include that and a couple other GpuTest ones for isolationg vRAM issues, etc.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Um, eyefinity is one of the earlier features, supported by the open drivers for a very long time now.
                And that is moot here anyway, as the small APUs (Kabini, Zacate, but also Llano) do not support Eyefinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Test against Catalyst 14.1 Beta and stop wasting everyone's time.
                  Learn to read (he did use the Catalyst 14.1 Beta) and stop wasting everyone's time.

Comment

Talking about Catalyst stutter in Linux reminds me something interesting...

I tested also Catalyst in Windows XP 32bit, Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit and Windows 8.1 64bit with OpenGL games like ET:QW and found out some things interesting...

Starting with the lest important...
                    The maximum performance as in max frame rate was with XP, Win7 was way worse, Win8 a bit worse than Win7 and Win8.1 was a bit worse than Win8.

As for stuttering, in XP there is NO stuttering at ALL....but besides XP, all other Windows versions tested stutter like crazy even is not that noticeable in the variation of FPS with the switch to show FPS, it's VERY clear in the image as we move around even when straffing...it's simply IMPOSSIBLE to play it with the rig used in test.

...and yes, in Linux stutters even with Linux 32bit...so i guess there is code shared between Catalyst for Linux and Catalyst for Win7 and above but there is something different in Catalyst for XP....or is there something wrong with Win7 and above with OpenGL ? but if it was this last option that wouldn't explain the Linux problem.
                    Last edited by AJSB; 22 February 2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
                      Probably another HyperZ issue, there have been a few of them for the r600g series of GPUs.

Try add this to the Steam launch options and see if it fixes it:
                      R600_DEBUG=nohyperz %command%

Also, are you using oibafs repo?
                      I will try that. First I tried the Ubuntu 13.10 kernel/mesa/xorg and then installed Oibafs with 3.13 kernel. Didn't fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X