Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Should Now Be Easier To Benchmark Steam Linux Games

Phoronix: It Should Now Be Easier To Benchmark Steam Linux Games

I was notified by a Valve Linux team member today that they have some new code out that should help in automating Steam Linux game benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wao

Great news really!
    I hope that soon enough we get to see relevant tests!

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Great news really!
      Agreed. As long as there's a way to record a demo, play back the demo, and automate the process, that's a start. Hopefully there's also either a way to lock the game version, or at least pick games that don't update often.

Comment

Note that this tool isn't limited to running Steam apps, it can be used to print the frame times and insert a frame rate overlay into any OpenGL application, kind of like FRAPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
          Note that this tool isn't limited to running Steam apps, it can be used to print the frame times and insert a frame rate overlay into any OpenGL application, kind of like FRAPS.
          Here is my hope: graphics tests that take a minute or two to run. Every time i run a real PTS 3D test, it takes about 10-15 minutes. And this is for one test (say, Unigine). As a result, I rarely test.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
            Wasn't there a Gallium3D overlay extension to do that too?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              Great news really!
              The current tests are already relevant.

Comment

Sigh. This does the exact same thing as the code I published two months ago (wrote over a year ago), but now that Valve does it...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Sigh. This does the exact same thing as the code I published two months ago (wrote over a year ago), but now that Valve does it...

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...in-all-GL-apps
                  OMG, did the Valve folks now about your code?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...in-all-GL-apps
                    What interests me is the Steam integration but after looking at their code it isn't too useful.... but will try talking to them or adding some improvements myself. From the Steam side I would really love the ability for being able to lock to a specific game revision first of all, but I don't know of any command line argument or anything to capture/use a specific revision of the Steam game... Plagman, do you know any? I'll have more details sent to Mike next week.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X