Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning More About KDE's Plasma Next Desktop

Phoronix: Learning More About KDE's Plasma Next Desktop

For those KDE users wishing to learn more about the forthcoming "Plasma Next" desktop work alongside KDE Frameworks 5 and Qt5, there's new information available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plasma defiantly looks better than ever. I think Phoronix missed sebas's other articles, like the one on DBUS aware plasmoids and the one on better DPI scaling for Plasma.

Also, I think Phoronix missed articles on KDE's Visual Design Group. So, far we got the colors that will form KDE desktop and apps color scheme. Next, Monday something on icons will be revealed. Those guys can sure keep up the suspense, so much for the "KDE Leaks Team"!

Comment

That UI is painful in it's 70s filter Penthouse centerfold frostiness. Then the font size over bearing on the buttons. Pass.

Comment

@Marc: that lack of spacing was filed as a bug, it's going to be solved

Also, Malcer Quaid might be the author of the new default theme. Expect a black, simple, and awesome theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post

Also, Malcer Quaid might be the author of the new default theme. Expect a black, simple, and awesome theme.
          I'll believe that when I see it. For nearly a decade the KDE people have been woefully ignorant of aesthetics. It's like the whole team is colorblind and autistic. I love that they haven't gone full retard like GNOME and Ubuntu have but my god does KDE need a crap ton of work in the design department.

Comment

Let's hope so. That never should have been in there since us at NeXT introduced Interface Builder. UIs should never have that flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
              I'll believe that when I see it. For nearly a decade the KDE people have been woefully ignorant of aesthetics. It's like the whole team is colorblind and autistic. I love that they haven't gone full retard like GNOME and Ubuntu have but my god does KDE need a crap ton of work in the design department.
              Guess what? If you don't the default theme in KDE you can completely change it, and it's easy they even provide a downloader that will install them for you. As well no matter what it looks like, somebody is going to complain about it, because everyone has different tastes, and I for one do not understand what issue you and others have with the default theme.

Comment

Weird, since I've previously asked Martin G. about changing/updating the default theme and he said it wasn't going to happen since whatever they changed it to people would complain.

I happen to be on the side that says a default theme should make users want to use it, not stay the same just because you're afraid of some people (most of whom have other preferred themes anyway) will complain.
                Keeping your theme the same for 20 years (or whatever) "just because" isn't okay...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Guess what? If you don't the default theme in KDE you can completely change it, and it's easy they even provide a downloader that will install them for you. As well no matter what it looks like, somebody is going to complain about it, because everyone has different tastes, and I for one do not understand what issue you and others have with the default theme.
                  Well, I love KDE, although I currently use GNOME and have done some design work on GNOME. But I'm certainly excited to find an excuse to try KDE again. I think the reason people don't like the current default Plasma theme may have something to do with the fact that Oxygen isn't consistent with the simplified style. Of course, it's not exactly 'flat' design, but it's not as 'shiny' as the previous themes, or like the Oxygen Plasma theme. So I think it's just a general desire for completeness and polish, which has become much more common lately in GNOME, elementary, and even Xfce. I mean, just compare Xfce's Settings dialog with KDE's and you'll see what I mean.

I love KDE and Qt, but the truth is that it simply needs a lot of work to get up to scratch. I am well aware of why this is difficult and time-consuming, but it's no less true. Aside from Oxygen itself, many applications have misalignments, much less (or more) padding than is needed, and having icons in buttons is just not the right default in its current form. Regardless of the features provided by the workspace, the applications you interact with consume most of your time, so it's important to make that a comfortable experience.

I have always feared that, despite having some great artists like Nuno, KDE would devolve into a desktop obsessed with features over basic aesthetics. But with the Visual Design Group getting things started with a focus on preserving what makes KDE great, I have hope. I've always thought that KDE had the right 'idea', but had a few glaring rough edges. With any luck, it will be a great example of form and function in free software this year. But for now, it certainly has a ways to go.
                  Last edited by scionicspectre; 21 February 2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Keeping your theme the same for 20 years (or whatever) "just because" isn't okay...
                    You obviously haven't dealt with any of the fruit company's products lately....

On a more serious note, I agree the default theme is nothing exciting. So what? As long as the UI is released with a few screenshots showing off customization options, what does it matter? Besides, it really is very difficult to satisfy everyone. Especially when some people, like myself, prefer dark themed desktops because they are easier on my eyes. Other people prefer the classic white/light colored background ("daywalkers". Yuck.) Icons are fairly customizable too.

So why waste time trying to find something that is going to please more people, even though in reality it will probably end up pissing off existing users (who use other themes anyway)?

Comment

Working...
                    X