Learning More About KDE's Plasma Next Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    On the contrary, all of them use it. SUSE uses it by default, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS have it as a supported option. And KDE has been adopted for use in several European governments, at the very least.
    SUSE has been using GNOME as default ever since KDE3 got abandonware status. On CentOS it's installable post-install but not even an option during installation. The only governmental entity in Europe using KDE that comes to mind is M?nchen, and they are using KDE 3.5 on their desktops, not KDE4. Looking beyond Europe, Turkey's Pardus recently switched to GNOME as default. So while you might argue that all of the enterprise distros use it, it's a similar failure of an argument as saying that all of enterprise distros use zsh. I mean, it's in the supported repositories!
    Last edited by daedaluz; 23 February 2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
      Turkey's Pardus recently switched to GNOME as default.
      Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Pardus might have matured in time and realized you can't serve af half baked desktop to paying costumers.
        Just like how RHEL 7 will ship with GNOME Classic as default?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Source?
          Pardus 2.0 release from 2013/9.

Comment

Yes. Gnome-shell even load with extra extensions in a session.
            Huh?

That is how Gnome rolls.
            Yup, burning bridges with the community, then having to cave in (only just) as their product isn't good enough for paying customers. BTW KDE on RHEL 7 beta is very nice, you should give it a try.

Extendable and enterprise material. KDE; not so much.
            Given that RHEL also ships KDE as an option, its pretty safe to say Red Hat probably wouldn't agree with you on that.

Even SUSE decided it was a waste of time to do QA on KDE. That would be the greatest laugh of 2014 if it wasn,t for Ian Jackson and OpenRC failing on the ant-systemd crusade.
            SUSE still offer KDE as part of SUSE Linux Enterprise, and provide documentation for it. Regardless of how much QA they do, given that they offer and support KDE installations, wouldn't it be fair to say that they consider it worthy to offer it to enterprise customers?

Comment

SUSE has been using GNOME as default ever since KDE3 got abandonware status.
              Not that I've heard of. Isn't there an install-time selection screen between GNOME and KDE?

The only governmental entity in Europe using KDE that comes to mind is M?nchen, and they are using KDE 3.5 on their desktops, not KDE4.
              I'm thinking about the French. Unless they switched to something else since then.

On CentOS it's installable post-install but not even an option during installation. So while you might argue that all of the enterprise distros use it, it's a similar failure of an argument as saying that all of enterprise distros use zsh. I mean, it's in the supported repositories!
              So? That doesn't mean that no enterprises use zsh, or that it's not as well supported. The defaults don't matter that much.

Comment

The only governmental entity in Europe using KDE that comes to mind is M?nchen, and they are using KDE 3.5 on their desktops, not KDE4. Looking beyond Europe, Turkey's Pardus recently switched to GNOME as default. !
                Taiwan's schools switched from GNOME to KDE recently:

Free and Open Source Software in Taiwan has made impressive strides thanks to the work of the 'ezgo' team. They have put together a pre-configured set of Open Source software which makes it easy for teachers and students to get up and running. The New Taipei City government has decided to install ezgo 11 on 10,000 PCs for elementary schools, bringing thousands of students in contact with Linux, KDE and educational Free Software. The ezgo team has written up an account of ezgo and how it came to be. Enjoy the read!

Also 50 million kids in Brazil's schools, and also about a million each in Portugal and Venezuela.

KDE is doing very well considering it's a grassroots, community effort and not a corporate product.

Comment

They don't ship it, and they don't give close to none testing. Because they f...ing don't care. Rightly so!
                  Then why is it included in the installation media? It would be absolutely crazy for a company to ship something to paying customers that they don't support. Likewise if they didn't give a toss, again why include it with the installation media?

Fact; KDE have no enterprise partners developing new versions. SUSE is doing as little as possible for KDE. Only support to already paying customers.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but even Red Hat have a number of developers working on KDE.

KDE is dying.
                  Ah, that old chestnut. Given this is a thread about the new and upcoming version of Plasma, wouldn't that be proof to the contrary?

Comment

LOL. So you argue that KDE's conservative Windows copycat UI fighting a still smaller part of the market is the way forward? Good luck with that. If you are so desperate that you will post anecdotical evidence the KDE is dying faster than I thought.
                    No, I'm just pointing out that KDE is very popular around the world despite cheap propaganda by fanboys who don't contribute.

Comment

The world's largest deployment of linux desktops also chose KDE:

Even after several years of service, I still find Oxygen the most elegant desktop in existence regardless of OS. I still use it across all my desktops, and never alter it significantly. In the old KDE3 days I always spent considerable time on kde-looks.org before I got satisfied.

Being overly judgemental of the looks of KDE4 has been popular for as long as it has been around. I have never understood it, but then again there is a crowd that gets their kicks out of bashing whatever can be bashed.

Comment

Working...
                      X